Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Hard shutdown on case button press. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/40762-hard-shutdown-case-button-press.html)

BMWDriver February 13, 2011 03:23 PM

Hard shutdown on case button press.

Well, when I press the shutdown button on my computer case, it shuts down IMMEDIATELY. :doh: Like I pulled the plug or something. It does not go into the routine shutdown of Windows 7 32-bits. It's as if I had pressed the button for the famous 5 seconds to obtain that exact result. Only a small quick push and release will do.

It' also not like the "reset" button, because the computer stays off.

I checked the BIOS setup for power management, and there are only two options: Power Off or Sleep.

Now I'm befuddled here. Or is that a Windows 7 option somewhere? I would think not.

This is not my sig computer, it's an MSI PM8M3-V with an Intel 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 2 gigs of ram and a Sapphire Radeon 3800 AGP card. Been working just fine except for that glitch. BIOS is up to date.

Lpfan4ever February 13, 2011 03:28 PM

I've never used MSI, but there should be an option in BIOS that switches between instant shutdown on button press or having to hold it for 4 seconds.

draemn February 13, 2011 10:00 PM

You can find a setting in windows under power-management and customize the power plan... otherwise it's BIOS.

Shadowmeph February 13, 2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWDriver (Post 485369)
Well, when I press the shutdown button on my computer case, it shuts down IMMEDIATELY. :doh: Like I pulled the plug or something. It does not go into the routine shutdown of Windows 7 32-bits. It's as if I had pressed the button for the famous 5 seconds to obtain that exact result. Only a small quick push and release will do.

It' also not like the "reset" button, because the computer stays off.

I checked the BIOS setup for power management, and there are only two options: Power Off or Sleep.

Now I'm befuddled here. Or is that a Windows 7 option somewhere? I would think not.

This is not my sig computer, it's an MSI PM8M3-V with an Intel 3.2 GHz Pentium 4, 2 gigs of ram and a Sapphire Radeon 3800 AGP card. Been working just fine except for that glitch. BIOS is up to date.

haha when you press the shut down button on your case it should shut off instantly it is supposed to do that every machine I have used does this mind you on mine I have to hold the button for about half a second but yes that is why it is called a hard shut down. I do advise not doing that though because it could screw up your OS.

Supergrover February 13, 2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 485484)
haha when you press the shut down button on your case it should shut off instantly it is supposed to do that every machine I have used does this mind you on mine I have to hold the button for about half a second but yes that is why it is called a hard shut down. I do advise not doing that though because it could screw up your OS.

What you are talking abou t is a press and hold to the power button.

I believe the OP is meaning it is hard shutdown with only a momentary press.

I believe windows 7 isn't the problem since it's default setting for shutdown from power button depress is a normal powerdown. At least it is on all my machines and I could not find a option to change it.
IMO it is either the bios setting or a wire/button problem, did it work right at any point? Did the system power down right before a setting change or rebuild?

ZZLEE February 13, 2011 11:33 PM

Power managment in BIOS ? 4 second or imeadite on my BIOS

draemn February 14, 2011 10:02 AM

You might have sleep/hybernate enabled?

When you use the power button to shut off your computer, how long does it take to boot?

_dangtx_ February 14, 2011 10:17 AM

its probably how the mobo is. have an asus here it takes forever + another week even with the

power button held. and then i got an asrock that pops off with a slight touch. varies from mobo to mobo. no worries,

as long as everything else is cool :)

CMetaphor February 14, 2011 10:24 AM

Have you worked within your PC recently at all? To see it sounds like your power button is actually causing a short. Listen closely to the system/power supply when you press the button to see if you hear a little electrical "zap" noise also when this happens.

Oh... and let us know what you find :biggrin:

_dangtx_ February 14, 2011 10:47 AM

one,going by the above, might indeed be tempted to short them pins himself and see if the effect is the same? :)