Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect

Well, I've checked available updates with MSI, and found the Via chipset had a driver update for it. I also went back into the BIOS under power management and reset the defaults of this menu. So, one shut down seems to have gone normally so far.

What trouble it gave me is corrupted sectors on my hard drive. I had suspected the drive to be faulty, but Seagate has an excellent tool called Seatools (also mentionned in the pined troubleshooting guide of this forum, an excellent source of info). So I used the boot CD version to do diagnose the HDD under DOS, and the software fixed it flawlessly. No permanent damage.

So that's the biggest consequence so far of this hard stop: corrupt disk sectors, which can affect some programs or data. No loss; I count my blessings.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old February 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Have you worked within your PC recently at all? To see it sounds like your power button is actually causing a short. Listen closely to the system/power supply when you press the button to see if you hear a little electrical "zap" noise also when this happens.

Oh... and let us know what you find
This was my thinking as well.
Could be a problem with connector/wiring.

Could always reach in with a screw driver and short the pins yourself to see if it has the same effect.

edit: Dan beat me to it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
one,going by the above, might indeed be tempted to short them pins himself and see if the effect is the same? :)
Old February 16, 2011, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
This was my thinking as well.
Could be a problem with connector/wiring.

Could always reach in with a screw driver and short the pins yourself to see if it has the same effect.

edit: Dan beat me to it. lol
Kinda thought that as a possibility too. The mobo's indications on hooking up are less than optimal nor clear, not to mention how hard it is to get your fingers in the case in that area, never mind seeing properly.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit