Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 08:33 AM
Rookie

Default My first build doesnt boot :S

Some days ago ago i built my first DIY pc. The components are: I7 2600K, NH-D14, Asrock P67 extreme 4, corsair p3 128 GB, WD caviar black, GTX 580 and a sony dvd. I mounted everything inside a fractal design define R3 and everything went good, except when i mounted the SSD, i had used the wrong screws. I changed the screws to the right ones and tried to start the computer. It didnt boot so i checked the 24 pin, and of course i had not plugged it in completely :P. Fixed that and pressed the on button again. This time the D14 fans start spinning and the case + graphics too. I got really excited but it didnt last long, nothing came up on my TV (connected via HDMI). I waited for about 30 sec and looked at that little LED on the mobo. It showed A3 and was stuck there. In the manual (ASRock > Products > P67 Extreme4 > Manual) it says 0xA3 IDE Enable. Why is this problem happening and how do i correct it?
Old February 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

You can always try going down the checklist, as always ground yourself and disconnect power to the system each time you change or tinker with something:

1) Reset the CMOS
- Disconnect the power cable from the PSU
- Remove the CMOS battery
- Use the Clear CMOS jumper or switch and hold for at least 30 seconds
- Replace the Clear CMOS jumper to original position, this is important not to forget
- Replace the CMOS battery
- Reboot

2) Disconnect and reconnect all cables
- Motherboard 20+4 Pin cable from PSU
- 4+4 Pin Motherboard CPU cable from PSU
- Front panel cables to Motherboard (Power, Reset, Power LED, HDD LED, Speaker)
- Power cables to drives from PSU
- SATA and IDE cables from Motherboard to Drives

3) Remove, and re-seat CPU heatsink and fan, including disconnecting and reconnecting the HS Fan power cable to the Motherboard

4) Remove all memory, and try slotting 1 RAM module in at a time in the 1st memory slot, then different slots, attempting a boot each time
Old February 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Before going through all that. Pull the motherboard from the case and make sure it boots outside. I just went through the same problem and it was a standoff used to attach the motherboard to the case was touching the motherboard in one small spot and causing a short. Good luck!
Old February 9, 2011, 02:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

since you don't mention checking the 8 pin connector, check it.
computer wont boot without it
Old February 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok so are you saying that you can't boot into the bios?
are there any beeps ?
When you say wrong screws for the ssd do you mean wrong Long screws? even if the ssd was acting up it should still be able to load into the bios screen.
I would make sure that all of the power cables are connected and if they are double and triple check to make sure they are pluged all of the way in and if you still get nothing pull your video card and then put it back in to make sure that it is seated properly. and plug it back in . if still nothing then do what Boblablaw said pull the motherboard and try it out of the case on a non metal area ( I usually use my Bed ) just to make sure that the motherboard isn't shorting out on the the case
Old February 11, 2011, 05:51 AM
Trial Member

Default Same problem

Hi,
I am getting the exact same A3 error message. Did you sort this out?

I tried disconnecting everything that mustn't be in place, but still same problem, also tried to boot with only 1 ram stick.

I removed my graphics card, then the Dr. Debug gave another error (D6 which just tells me that there is no output device connected, which of course is correct). Seems it got further in the boot process without the graphics card though. Also tried to put the graphics card in another slot, still same A3 error.

(My graphics card is a Radeon 5670)
Old February 11, 2011, 07:07 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the checklists and help guys. I have been reaslly busy this week (and still am) so im going to test all this in a couple of days.

@audunms: hmm that sounds worrying. I havent tested anything yet, but if you do find as solution please post it here :)
Old February 11, 2011, 07:21 AM
Allstar

My SSD wont boot in IDE mode. Set it to ACHI in Bios if you can get that far.
Old February 11, 2011, 12:27 PM
Rookie

That same thing has happened to me before, and then I found out the CPU power wasnt in. Check if your 8pin CPU power is plugged in (at the top of your mobo, near the CPU and USB ect. connectors) as Stubby and proxy both said.
Old February 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmax View Post
Thanks for the checklists and help guys. I have been reaslly busy this week (and still am) so im going to test all this in a couple of days.

@audunms: hmm that sounds worrying. I havent tested anything yet, but if you do find as solution please post it here :)

hope the screws werent that long to mess up hdd controlier