Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2011, 02:02 PM
Rookie

I got it working now, all i did was clear cmos and change the monitor. And thankfully the ssd is working too :). But now i have another problems: Windows doesnt seem to detect my 1 tb WD Caviar Black, but it was detected during installation and its detected on the marvell controller during startup. I probably have to change a setting or something, anyone care to point me in the right direction? :)

Thank you all for helping me with my very first computer build
Old February 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

Glad to hear you're up and running =). Checklists seem silly, but more often than not they solve problems we may have overlooked.

Can you be more specific about your hard drive? Do you mean it's not showing up in Windows Explorer, or that it's not showing at all as in the Computer Management Console and not under the Device Manager?

Try going to your Computer Management Console, easiest way is to click on the Windows Key + R at the same time, then from the Run dialog type in "Compmgmt.msc", under the tree on the right side and under Storage click on Disk Management, from there it should list the hard drives connected, note it may take some time to load up. See if the WD 1TB shows up there, if it does, try right-clicking and initializing it, creating a partition, formatting, and assigning a drive letter. It may be that simple.

If the drive doesn't show up under compmgmt.msc then try going to the Hardware Device Manager, quickets way is Windows Key + R for the run dialog then type in "Devmgmt.msc" and hit enter. From here expand the "Disk Drives" node of the tree, if you see the hard drive under there, right-click it and uninstall it, then do a refresh and detect hardware devices and see if it detects the drive and shows it. If this doesn't work try expanding the IDE ATA/ATAPI or SATA node and uninstalling the controllers one by one while doing a refresh each time to see if the drive is detected.

If that still doesn't work you might look at your BIOS settings and make sure the drive controllers are enabled, e.g. SATA controllers enabled (they may be multiple controllers make sure to get them all), the correct mode is set AHCI/IDE/RAID, etc.

Last edited by proxy; February 13, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old February 13, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rookie

Ok, i will try that when i have time :D
Old February 15, 2011, 07:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Try going to your Computer Management Console, easiest way is to click on the Windows Key + R at the same time, then from the Run dialog type in "Compmgmt.msc", under the tree on the right side and under Storage click on Disk Management, from there it should list the hard drives connected, note it may take some time to load up. See if the WD 1TB shows up there, if it does, try right-clicking and initializing it, creating a partition, formatting, and assigning a drive letter. It may be that simple.
Everything is working perfecly now Again, thank you so much for your help guys :)