Build with a:
Gigabyte GA-P67-UD3
Intel i5 2500K (with stock cooler)
Corsair TX750W PSU
2x2GB Corsair 1600 MHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX 460
HD
DVD Drive

I built everything as it should be. Power button and the front case LED blinks once, and the PSU fan moves slightly (maybe half of a rotation). I figure something may be connected incorrectly or the mobo may be shorting, so I remove it from my case and place it on a piece of cardboard. Remove everything except one stick of RAM in the second slot. Connect 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors. CPU in, heatsink on. Connect the power button cable from the case, power on... Same problem, however now the PSU fan spins for a good second, as well as the CPU fan. A green light flashes on the motherboard for about a second, then turns off. This sequence does not loop.

It's worth noting that I had some struggles with the stock CPU cooler, after a while it did fit correctly however the thermal compound may have been smeared too much? I'm not sure how it works when it comes to this paste. I ensured there was none on/around the CPU's pins, etc. Looks fine to me.

I've reset the BIOS and shorted the CMOS, paperclip-tested the PSU, tried every different configuration of RAM, and so forth. I really haven't the foggiest what else could make this problem.

It's also worth nothing that someone suggested holding the motherboard by the heatsink, so it is in the air, to ensure there is no shorting. This DID get the motherboard to boot correctly (four lights, maybe? on the motherboard), until it started looping during the POST, stating the lack of video card. This only happened once and I've never got it to do the same thing again.

Thanks for putting up with my extensive post. I hope there's a solution for this. I really don't want it to be the motherboard, because Gigabyte will probably not be able to send me a replacement until the SATA fix for these chipsets is released... If this is the case, I'll probably just send my mobo in for replacement in the two or three months that it takes for these updated chipsets to be shipped.
Old February 8, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

do you have any frends with P67 bords ? if yes try parts from anuther build if possable.
whre do you live maybe there is a HWC er near you who can help ?
Old February 8, 2011, 09:14 PM
Top Prospect

So your PSU spins for a second max? Can you try the PSU in another system?
Old February 8, 2011, 09:20 PM
Banned
F@H

the part ' someone suggested holding the motherboard by the heatsink, so it is in the air, to ensure there is no shorting. This DID get the motherboard to boot correctly (four lights, maybe? on the motherboard), until it started looping during the POST'

tells me its a mobo issue for sure. you see any broken traces, maybe a little crack somewhere, take out the heatsink and see if the chipset is cracked or something?

ps welcome aboard.

ps http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-p55a-ud7.html

thanks to 3oh6 for the piccies of his ex board with damaged traces.
Old February 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all of your speedy replies :) Much more and better quality than any other board.

I've got nobody/no place to test other hardware. What I've got is what I've got, unfortunately. :(
There's no visible damage on the motherboard.

I forgot to mention my difficulty with putting the CPU in the socket. The latch that covers the CPU once in the socket closes nicely, but the lever that locks it requires an extreme amount of pressure to lock. So much, in fact, that I've actually managed to scratch the top/side of the CPU... None of the "important parts" seem to be harmed, just a small scratch on the top. This tells me that something is really really wrong, however remember I DID get it to boot that one time even with the CPU inserted this way. I've been told by many to just "use force, push that lever down" and it does look correct.

Thanks for your help again.
Old February 9, 2011, 05:37 PM
Banned
F@H

take another look at the pins in the socket, and look at the contacts on the back of the cpu.

anything funny there?

you should not need an elephant of force to put the lever in its closed position! :)
Old February 10, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

location location
mite be a member closer than you think, other is power connections
Old March 29, 2011, 11:54 AM
Rookie

I'm back.
RMA'd the motherboard, and still no luck, although the problem is different now.
The motherboard now loops rebooting. A green LED on the mobo comes on for maybe five seconds, then powers off, same with all fans. Then this loops.
I've tried with different configurations and still nothing.
Is it possible it's a CPU issue? Trying without the CPU in results in the same problem.
Also, is it possible that it won't boot without a monitor connected?
Old March 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It would boot even without the monitor connected. Have you tried testing the motherboard out of the casing first? If you didn't test it outside of the casing yet I suspect that there might be a possibility that the bottom of your motherboard is touching the case.
Old March 29, 2011, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
It would boot even without the monitor connected. Have you tried testing the motherboard out of the casing first? If you didn't test it outside of the casing yet I suspect that there might be a possibility that the bottom of your motherboard is touching the case.
Yes, if you read my original post, I do state that I've tested it outside the case.