Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 01:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default ep45-ud3l wont boot

so one day it just decided to shut down and not boot, the PU made a surging noise when i turned it on. Replaced the video card, worked but computer not running on par so i made a few ram voltage tweaks. Now the computer seems to post by a beep and displays the gigabyte screen but freezes and starts to cycle off and on. Changed the power supply still nothing. I pulled the cmos battery to reset it still nothing, tried different ram and changed around a bunch of the slots. WTF does anyone know whats up? Is there a way to completely reset the motherboard and bios back to factory setting?? keep in mind i cannot access the bios.
Old January 30, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

ep45-ud3l what MB version 1.0 or 1.1

Last edited by KaptCrunch; January 30, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
Banned
F@H

take it out the case, bios battery out, short the appropriate pins and let it sit overnight.

put the jumper back, no bios battery in, the lowest speed ram you can find, no cpu, and power.

then disconnect power supply , push power a few times, cpu in, try again.

no go? time for an upgrade, given all your parts you are working with are tested good
Old January 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Had it out of the case, had the battery out for 10 hours with the cmos clear jumper in, same thing. Tried with no cpu the lights stay on than it turns off after 30 seconds, with no ram it just keeps beeping than shuts down. I think i know what happend, the one rail on the power supply somehow blew up the video card and took the motherboard with it. Im not certain but im sure the video card is done and not all the slots on the power supply work with the new video card. Thus is why i bought a new power supply and video card. I have also tried different ram, and nothing.

After supposedly clearing the cmos, why do i still get the splash screen that i modified instead of the gigabyte one? i thought clearing the cmos would reset EVERYTHING.
Old January 30, 2011, 01:34 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
ep45-ud3l what MB version 1.0 or 1.1
im not sure which motherboard version im running, it was built in 2009 near the end of the year though.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:02 PM
Top Prospect

update: ok so the motherboard with power on and stay powered on without the processor in, it just shows the lights and thats it. Bad processor maybe?
Old January 30, 2011, 02:02 PM
Banned
F@H

see if you can get the individual parts tested at a frends palce or maybe a shoppe, 10 bucks

if they take it will be a good investment to know whats what
Old January 30, 2011, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
see if you can get the individual parts tested at a frends palce or maybe a shoppe, 10 bucks

if they take it will be a good investment to know whats what
Well the processor gets warm from all the cycling so im guessing its still good. At any rate im waiting for an rma number, screw you gigabyte i will never buy your cheap bullshit mobo again.
Old January 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
Banned
F@H

dont think its the mobo at fault, im thinking the chippie mightve been at fault, as well. good idea to rma though

i built a few puters with those mobos, and as hard as i tried to kill it screwing around in bios

i have failed everytime :)
Old January 30, 2011, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
dont think its the mobo at fault, im thinking the chippie mightve been at fault, as well. good idea to rma though

i built a few puters with those mobos, and as hard as i tried to kill it screwing around in bios

i have failed everytime :)

Well on the initial power on, the computer does post via the "beep" but than shuts down after and starts its power cycles, also the cpu fan spins as well...does that sound like a bad cpu?

TO rma the mobo? i have to pay for shipping and everything too i think. My q6600 was from ebay, i would go i3 but i dont have money to throw around like that.

So lets see i know the 8800gt is bad because it surges the power supply so i bought a gtx 460 i also bought a new power supply (corsair 600) not knowing if i even needed it. I think the PS has a bad rail and i didn't want to risk it seeing as a bad psu can screw up alot of components, and this silverstone that i bought used has been tampered and opened before.

Anyways that puts me at under 300 spent so far :(. What processor would you suggest that would work better for overclocking than the q6600?