Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 23, 2011, 06:03 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default power button, fan spins 1 sec, shut down

Hey Folks,

I need some ideas. Building a small computer with the Sugo SG06 case, GA-H55N-USB3 board, G-Skill RAM, i3-550 processor, 1 HDD, 1 ODD. You'd think it would be pretty simple but when I hit the power button, the PSU fan spins and the CPU fan spins for just about a second, and it shuts down.

I tried putting a paper clip into pin 14 of the MB power connector and the PSU fan spins. I measured one of the PSU power connectors and got 5 V. So I think the PSU is fine. Where should I look next? Bad power switch? Short somewhere? Anyone experience this before?

Started fiddling with the power switch. Now if you hit the power switch is cycles on and off.

Thanks in advance.

d

Last edited by bonanza2000; January 23, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

pull it all out and test on the box to help narrow down the problem. is what i would do sounds like it's shorting out some where. then get a speaker plugged in and see if the board beep codes tell you anything.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

it never gets on long enough to power up. It is literally on for a second. There is no post, fans spin for a second and LEDs come on for a second, then nothing.

I can pull it all apart but test what? MB, PSU, RAM, CPU, HDD, ODD.

If I want to test the MB, can I just take a computer that is working and swap the MB and expect it to power up? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I don't want to miss some critical piece of knowledge that I don't have.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:40 AM
Banned
F@H

you did hook up all the power connectors where they need hooking up right?

its because of threads like this that i always tell people to turn it on on the mobo

box before puting in the case :)

are you using onboard or a pci-e card?

swap the ram sticks, reseat cpu lastly...
Old January 23, 2011, 06:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
you did hook up all the power connectors where they need hooking up right?

its because of threads like this that i always tell people to turn it on on the mobo

box before puting in the case :)

are you using onboard or a pci-e card?

swap the ram sticks, reseat cpu lastly...
yes MB connector, ODD and HDD are the only things the PSU connects to. As far as the MB connectors I followed the Gigabyte manual. No video card, onboard video.

I am going to walk away from it for a couple hours so I don't do something I will regret later, but keep the ideas coming.
Old January 23, 2011, 06:56 AM
Banned
F@H

ok. so you hooked up power to the mobo on both places?

sorry to ask, but i forget myself lol.

Old January 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

reason for pulling is to make sure it's not shorting out on said case and then only run one stick of ram then try the other one if that doesn't change things trial and error are the only way to try and narrow down whats happening. hence the trouble shooting. but you will have to change all the parts basically with ones you know works. kinda sucks but that's how it's done. and ya as dan says always double and triple check all connections to make sure there plugged in all the way/ some times just a 4/8 pin can not be plugged in all the way it it screws everything up. hell i have even thought the main power was plugged in all the way and it wasn't so the board would not power up. just remember one thing at a time so you can narrow it down ok

edit oh and the only dumb question is the one not asked, cause you never know what it is
Old January 23, 2011, 07:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Double check your 4 pin to ensure that the latch is lined up with the one on the motherboard receptical. Contrary to popular belief, it's not idiot proof (I proved that myself :) ) and it's possible to connect it 45deg out of the proper position. (Fault indication was exactly what you're describing).

It should be idiot proof, but I suspect the recepticals on some motherboards (mine was a giga H55 as well) are a bit sloppy.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old January 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok. so you hooked up power to the mobo on both places?

sorry to ask, but i forget myself lol.
AHHHH!!!!! I think you are a GENIUS!

I just got back from Staples and they tested my PSU and it was fine. I looked back into the manual and you have to connect the 24 pin AND A 4 PIN connector! I don't remember doing that for my other Gigabyte board.

I will report back in a bit
Old January 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
AHHHH!!!!! I think you are a GENIUS!

I just got back from Staples and they tested my PSU and it was fine. I looked back into the manual and you have to connect the 24 pin AND A 4 PIN connector! I don't remember doing that for my other Gigabyte board.

I will report back in a bit

i wish :p

i made a fool of myself one too many times and i learned the lesson haha.

get it going and god forbid you dont fold it!! :D