Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
Rookie

Default SATA to USB issues (2.5 drive and on Win7)

This is related to my thread here ASUS P6T, smoking usb, fried audio, keyboard and SATA2USB issues but thought it needed its own thread.

So my laptop won't bootup, showing i/o error. Decided to connect the laptop hard drive via sata to usb adapter to my Win7 machine. The problem is, the drive will not show up on the computer. In the device manager the USB Storage Device shows up when I connect but no drive. There is a "Disk 1" under disk management and when I click "initilize disk", it says it can't. Also showing "Device not ready".
The drive is an OS drive with Vista running on it and I need to backup some important files (couple of gigs worth)..

On the adapter there are indicators like so:

the power and USB (1st and 2nd from right) will light up but the SATA(1st from left) will not. I took the adapter and the drive to the shop and asked the guy to do it, it was showing up just fine... Now I'm guessing it's something do with my USB power/mobo or just software side..

Any suggestions?