Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Default ASUS P6T, smoking usb, fried audio, keyboard and SATA2USB issues

Hey guys!

Here's some background...

My laptop was not booting up (showing i/o error) so I took out the 2.5 sata hard drive, brought it to a shop and asked them to check it out. It showed up on their PC fine via SATA2usb adapter. So I bought myself one of those things and proceeded to connect to my desktop pc. Now I'm not a techie but I was confident that this was a simple job, just connect and go. Turns out it wasn't. I did read online and talked to the shop that for a 2.5 drive you don't need external power so I tried it without power first but when it didn't work, I connected the power! THAT turned out be a costly mistake. My D-LINK DWA-160 USB ADAPTER (n wireles) was literally smoking up! That was garbage after that. So was my old school IBM PS/2 keyboard... though all my usb ports and ps/2 port work fine.

Before all this, my onboard audio was working fine but I think that also has fried somehow. I plug in my headphones, no popups from Realtek audio manager like before. Removed drivers, installed again, restarted, disabled in BIOS then enabled, nothing works.

What do you gather from all this?

How did the D-Link N adapter fry up? Why would the Ps/2 keyboard not function at the same time? Finally, has the onboard audio fried? If so, how? I hope I can RMA this board with no problems... Please help me out here.

Corsair TX750W
i7 920 2.66GHZ
ASUS P6T X58
Old January 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
Banned
F@H

is this on both front and back usb's?

a properly functioning usb port should give enough juice to a properly working 2.5 inch drive in a properly functioning enclosure+cable.

i didnt get the 'I connected the power!'

you connected what to what?
Old January 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
is this on both front and back usb's?

a properly functioning usb port should give enough juice to a properly working 2.5 inch drive in a properly functioning enclosure+cable.

i didnt get the 'I connected the power!'

you connected what to what?
Yes I have tried both the front and rear USB's.

I connected the the SATA Y power cable to the drive and adapter but also the 5th wire to the adapter which I was not supposed to.
Old January 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
Banned
F@H

and your computer is still working and it only fried the usbs and audio?

i have an external thingie and can only plug one of each and thats it, went for it learning from past mistakes myself.

go for the rma.....but a shock that bad could trickle death to other components as well.
Old January 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
and your computer is still working and it only fried the usbs and audio?

i have an external thingie and can only plug one of each and thats it, went for it learning from past mistakes myself.

go for the rma.....but a shock that bad could trickle death to other components as well.
no no, I didn't fry the USBs, just the external wireless N adapter (dlink) and the keyboard. Maybe the audio (not sure). All USB ports are working fine.

I'm thinking just getting a sound card but yeah RMA will be the safer option first.. ;(
Old January 22, 2011, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It sounds like your external power adaptor dumped dirty power or something higher than +5V straight into the motherboard's USB, which may have damaged everything attached to +5V on the board... That means USB, PS/2, and possibly some chips on the mother board.
I've seen a lot of customer reviews of those USB adaptors smoking when not used exactly right, which swayed me from buying one. A 5 cent diode or micro fuse in the circuit would've prevented that failure that you witnessed, but someone was cutting corners when they designed that adaptor.