Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Quiet microphone

I have the worst luck with these things being shitty. My Razer headset is quiet on my desktop on onboard audio or on my Auzentech sound card. The mic is fine, it works well on my laptop which at least allows a decent mic boost. It seems that I've always had quiet mic issues. I'm currently using a logitech usb mic that is better, but it's still lacking. I've always got the mic volume maxed out and soundboost on. On teamspeak it doesn't seem so bad as people can boost my volume, however ingame is quite quiet.

Simple question - is there any third party software that allows an additional mic boost? Or could I get some sort of Mic to USB adapter and have better options for mic boost?
Old January 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
Top Prospect

Since you said that you've maxed all on-board volume boosts, and that people in TS have ramped up the volume from your channel, what do you mean by in game is quiet?

I'm not aware of other solutions aside from what you mentioned (changing properties in recording device, and having others manually change their TS settings), so don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you're just naturally quiet. The only other solution I can think of is if you place the microphone reaallly close to your mouth, or try a different product.
Old January 18, 2011, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
Since you said that you've maxed all on-board volume boosts, and that people in TS have ramped up the volume from your channel, what do you mean by in game is quiet?

I'm not aware of other solutions aside from what you mentioned (changing properties in recording device, and having others manually change their TS settings), so don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you're just naturally quiet. The only other solution I can think of is if you place the microphone reaallly close to your mouth, or try a different product.
Quit ingame- I mean my mic is quiet in ingame chats such as l4d2.

The thing is, I have no issues on my laptop as there is sufficient mic boost available (up to 60DB or something, I use 20. Not entirely sure where the issue lies. Yeah I could just be talking quietly, would still like a boost :P

Last edited by JMCD; January 18, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old January 19, 2011, 05:22 AM
MVP

Are other people's mics actually louder than yours?

I mean, I have my l4d2 audio sliders set at about 10% to be able to hear everyone clearly.
Old January 19, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

audio software uptodate also run their sound control panel
Old January 19, 2011, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Are other people's mics actually louder than yours?

I mean, I have my l4d2 audio sliders set at about 10% to be able to hear everyone clearly.
Yeah my friends and I are usually on teamspeak together, when we play with another random I'll sometimes use in game as well. They say I come in a lot quieter than other people. If I open up my recording options on windows my mic only makes the green bars go up 1 or 2 out of 10 or so.

@Kapt - I use a PCI sound card at the moment as the onboard realtek sound card can cause BC2 to freeze, which seems to be a hit or miss problem. For me, it caused my system to lock up.
Old January 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I totally know what you mean.
My Zalmon mic, and my usb rockband(logitech) mic are both quiet, even when everything is maxed out in windows, and in game. TF2 ingame people say I'm too quiet. I usually leave the mic on my desk, about 1 foot away from my mouth, so I think its close enough. We need some solutions!
Old January 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
I totally know what you mean.
My Zalmon mic, and my usb rockband(logitech) mic are both quiet, even when everything is maxed out in windows, and in game. TF2 ingame people say I'm too quiet. I usually leave the mic on my desk, about 1 foot away from my mouth, so I think its close enough. We need some solutions!
I'm going to give my buddy's Logitech G35 a whirl and see if that dodges the problem. USB should help the issue, perhaps a Carachsis (sp?) up for sale soon.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

go with plantronics usb head set, never had a issue with weak mic on any i used
Old January 20, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On my HT Omega Striker, there is an option under the Mic Volume slider which boosts the volume significantly, so sensitive that it can pick up my heart beats (pretty fun btw).

I use the Zalman mic as well. Just came to my mind, could it happen if you plug your mic through the front mic port?

-Plato