Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default EYEFINITY-Monitor input/GPU output issues...

Hello,

New to the forum, and I seek council regarding a soon-to-be built Eyefinity setup. You guys seem to know your stuff =P! Here it goes:

I own a Samsung SyncMaster 2243WM 22" monitor. It's native resolution is 1680*1050 and has a VGA-connection (currently in use) and a DVI-D input (female) .

Today, do to an amazing deal, I purchased two BENQ G2220HD 21.5" Full HD LCD monitors having a native resolution 0f 1920*1080. It has a DVI-D connection and a regular VGA input (D-sub same thing?). My hope is to combine these with my Samsung and have a 3-display Eyefinity rig. I have heard Eyefinity assumes the resolution of the lesser monitor, in this case the Samsung, and run at 1680*1050.

Now, I am building a new system. I will be using the Sapphire Vapor X 5870 as it's GPU, and the monitors I mentioned.

I know you NEED to use the display port for one of the monitors, so I intend to get an Active Display port to DVI adapter.
I looked at the DVI end and it doesn't match the DVI-D input on my Samsung (the one I intend to connect via the DP) My Samsung's DVI-D port is 3 rows of 8 holes with a horizontal slit.Is this an issue?

The Sapphire card has DVI-I outputs (I believe) and they do not match the DVI-D inputs on all three of the monitors (check out the Sapphire card pics on Newegg).

What I need ladies and Gentlemen, is a connection solution (with links pretty please for hardware necessities?) for my setup. PLEASE don't tell me the monitors I JUST ordered are no good ( I am sure they are!)

There must be a series of adaptors and connectors that can make this formula work. All in all, this is a DVI-D monitor female input to a DVI-I GPU output. Solution?

Challenge: How do I connect a Samsung SyncMaster 2243WM 22" and two BENq G2220HD (all with female 3-rows of 8 pins with a horizontal slit "DVI-D"?)Full HD LCD monitors to a Sapphire Vapor X 5870?

A friend in need....
Old January 17, 2011, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've just done an eyefinity setup myself so it is new to me.
The DVI-D to DVI-I question is an important one to ask before buying your adapter, but I don't know the answer.
However, if you need another place to check for adapters, this may help:

ACCELL Cables - Audio, Video, Speaker, Computer Cables and Interconnects

The adapter you're linking to from Newegg is definately correct in that it is "active" and "single-link".
Old January 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks Jeff.

Well, I think I can use and DVI-D cable to my GPU. However, I am still confused as to wether using a dual-link cable and a Active single-link Display Port-to-DVI-D adapter (Cheaper than Active Dual-link) is feasible.
Old January 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Speaking from experience you only need to use 2 DVI cables and 1 passive active DP to DVI adapter.

We do have an eyefinity/surround support sticky thread to help answer any other questions you may have.

Here's a little whats different between DVI-D and DVI-I summary i found online.
1. DVI-D is a DVI connector that is meant for digital signals only while DVI-I is a connector that allows both digital and analog signals
2. DVI-I connectors have all the necessary pins for a single link DVI cable while DVI-D connectors lack the four pins that is supposed to carry the analog signal
3. The long and flat pin on the DVI-D connector is slightly smaller than that on the DVI-I connector
4. A DVI-D connector can fit on a DVI-I port but not the other way around
Old January 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default UPDATE: CAN THIS SOLUTION WORK?

Can I Hook my Samsung Monitor up via a Display port-to-VGA adapter:
Newegg.ca - BYTECC DP-VGA005MF DisplayPort to VGA Female Cable Adaptor 0.5ft (6") w/IC

And the BENQ monitors up via DVI-D (Dual-link) M/M cables?:
Newegg.ca - BYTECC 6 ft. DVI-D Dual-Link Digital Cable w/Ferrites Model DVI-D06
Old January 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Another decision-helping question: Can I link a monitor to a DVI-D single-link adapter with a DVI-D dual-link cable?
Old January 18, 2011, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Given what was said..."4. A DVI-D connector can fit on a DVI-I port"...then the cables that come with your BenQ should go in to the Sapphire DVI-I ports correct? Nothing else required for those two.

Then you use the Samsung VGA cable to go in to an adapter that is VGA-DisplayPort.
As long as this adapter is "active" and "single link".

The adapter you linked to, and this one, do not say "single link" anywhere that I can see. But they are both "active".

I don't know if a dual link cable and a single link adapter can work together. I would assume so. The whole point of the active adapter is to use its technology to change the signal appropriately. But I have no idea what dual link and single link "is"...and whether that is part of the adapters ability.

Sorry...not a solid confirmation.