Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2011, 08:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Moms friends computer doesn't work

My moms friend is going to be dropping off his old PC here in a few days he says now I don't know what to do honestly, he tells me this story "His son was gaming on it and the power went out and it never would power up again" He also keeps telling me about how his motherboard is top of the line in this machine and cost him over $1200 so he knows he's got a DAMN good pc and no ones going to tell him different...he says his graphic card as well is in the thousands series which is one of the best they would ever be able to make (this is what he tells my mom all the time and she believes him even though I tell her that there always building new graphic cards and there always improving if not dramaticly, slightly they are but I don't think she buy's this) So I don't really know what to do, would anyone have or like to take a shot at what could be wrong? I'm thinking off the bat the psu is bad but I think his pc is worth throwing out to be honest...I mean come on this guy was trying to impress my mom by telling her about how vista was such an upgrade from XP and that windows 7 blows both of them away and how windows 2k was a wolf in sheep yada yada...and anyone who knows me knows I am a XP fanboy (Still using it today woot woot!) and he honestly is just trying to impress my mom So if and when I see it I'll post up what the pc looks like and we can see whats wrong with it or try to find out whats bad :(
Old January 14, 2011, 08:54 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

First thought? PSU for sure. But you'll find that out quickly for yourself. If you press the power button and nothing at all happens, the PSU is most likely dead. Try with another one and Only power up the board (so 24-pin and 4/8-pin) to see if it can post, then add other components back one at a time afterwards.

And then you can tell your friend that his "amazing" pc needs a surge protect powerbar, lol.
Old January 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
Banned
F@H

get back to us when you get it, i spent 2 hours on the phone with a bud once, and then 15 minutes in the car to get there and fix it in 5...:)
Old January 14, 2011, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

For working on such a special system, you'll probably need to charge a special rate... ;-)
Old January 14, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BC Beer
Old January 15, 2011, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
For working on such a special system, you'll probably need to charge a special rate... ;-)
I was going to say I'd never assist someone who is so blantantly ignorant, arrogant and downright annoying, but I like this alternative option much better

Without knowing ANYTHING except "It won't turn on again", it could be the PSU.. or mobo. CMMetaphor has you on the right track!

Old January 15, 2011, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup my first guess is psu then look too the MB. had a guys machine do it last week booted once then never booted again MB went but it's also like 10 years old
Old January 15, 2011, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It won't turn on again doesn't tell much. Could just need a cmos reset. PSU is the most likely culprit and if that went then some other parts could be damaged as well.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to me it sounds like the board, if the PSU isn't powering up then you can sort of test the PSU by unplugging it from the mb and then jumping it to see if the psu fires up. kind of funny that someone would spend all of that money and not have decent protection from power surges hehe

Oh and just incase you are not sure how to Jump the PSU this is what I do ,I unplug the PSU from where ever it is pluged into then unplug it from the Motherboard, I then take a paper clip ( or wire will work also) and then push one side of the Paper clip into the green wire slot and the other side of the paper clip into any black wire slot . I then plug the PSU bake into the power bar or wall . this should power up the PSU.

Last edited by Shadowmeph; January 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: forgot to eplain how to jump psu