Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Default Front panel header

I just bought a new mobo (gigabyte ga-880gm-ud2h), it fits my old gateway case quite nice so i don't i don't want to replace it. First off it wont pwr up but i think it has to do with the front panel header. I don't have enough wires to fill the header. Nothing is labeled either. So looking in the case, i have a white and a blue cable twisted together and then i have a orange, green and black wire twisted together. Any idea what goes where???

thanks in advance!!!
Old January 13, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look in the motherboard manual. Everything's in there, however front panel connectors aren't standardized so either your case won't make use of all of them or your motherboard won't have certain headers for the case.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah, check the manual for diagrams. If you don't have it on you, I'm sure you could find it somewhere online. I wouldn't assume its dead until you can rule out the cabling.. Good luck!
Old January 13, 2011, 10:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hw do you turn on the pc on your old mobo? Is the pc switch part of the front header?You need to check which wires goes where on your old mobo and carry it over to your new mobo.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:33 AM
Rookie

Yeah I do have the manual, that's not the problem it's more what wire is what!!! Unfortunately, I was to anxious to throw the new mobo in that I didn't pay attention to what wire was what and now this is where I'm stuck!!!! I'll keep switching it around and see what happens if not I'll go check the local computer store for a new front panel wiring kit!!!

Thanks anyways!!!!
Old January 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Usually OEMs use their own proprietary connectors for the front-panel stuff. This could be the case.

However, trial and error is the easiest way. Alternatively, you could trace back to where those wires go and see if it's for the power button or if it's for a LED. Then you'd have a better idea of where to plug it into on the motherboard. On the motherboard it should have labels like PWR LED or IDE LED or PWR SW to help you figure out where things should go.
Old January 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

JD is very correct as most OEM manufacturers use propritery connections to prevent such things from happening (i.e. replacing the MB).

For the most part Aftermarket cases all come with standardized neccesities , some might give you more, some less.

Best way too to figure out which way to connect the header cables is for each twisted pair, they will all have the same colour for their ground / - connection.

I.e. Blue/white, red/white, orange/white. That way at least you know Which way to put them on the MB.

I would suggest, just in my opinion that a new case might be a better bet. As most OEM cases are poor in the cooling department, lack a lot of cable management, and generally are cramped inside.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

if you simply want to test and see if the mobo will boot, take a screwdriver and touch the two pins on the board designated PWR, this will complete the circuit and power up the board
Old January 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

simple let your fingers do the thinking, by follow your white and a blue cable twisted together to other end of it and then orange, green and black wire twisted together, to thier ends an see where they go on front cover

note most cases are

start: blu/wht

power led: grn/wht

speaker:red/blk

HDD led: org/wht

for the led's connections they have to be polarity correct to work, flip them around if not lighting up

the wht usally is the positive on led wiring

start sw or reset sw not a issue

speaker some need to be correct

as rest said check your MB manual .pdf pinout for front header

Note: for the message/ power , usally is a double filament daul color led

if don't have one, can use pin #2, #4, #6 pin#4 is common = negitive #2=msg #6= power
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; January 14, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old January 14, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That sounds like a crappy case!

Yeah you can use a screw driver to complete the circuit.

I have never cared about what way the cable goes. It doesn't really matter IMO if you have the + in the - or vice versa. All that matters is you have the right cable for the header.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."