Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Corsair AX850 PSU + Silverstone FT02 case (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/39635-corsair-ax850-psu-silverstone-ft02-case.html)

juice99 January 6, 2011 06:28 AM

Corsair AX850 PSU + Silverstone FT02 case

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I bought Corsair AX850 PSU and FT02 Silverstone case and i'm not sure how to place my PSU.

in the Silverstone manual it says to place it in the way that air is blown outside the case through it's roof. Not possible, because this PSU is shaped differently. it can either blow the air inside (helping to cool motherboard) or through the back (if it will be very hot then i guess this way is better)

The problem with placing it so the air is blown thorugh the back is that it is partly (1/3) covered by the case, and only in 2/3 there are small holes.

on pic1 i placed it that it is blown inside, on pic2 it's the other way

on pic1 you can see that PSU fan will be partly blocked by the case if you turn it around

what do you advise? how should i place it?

stoanee January 6, 2011 07:19 AM

The fan opening is the suction side. I would rotate 180 degrees on your first picture so that it would suck from outside the case and vent out the top of your case. It looks like the hole in your case does not line up very good for the intake.

juice99 January 6, 2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 471210)
The fan opening is the suction side. I would rotate 180 degrees on your first picture so that it would suck from outside the case and vent out the top of your case. It looks like the hole in your case does not line up very good for the intake.

that's my problem - the grill is not lined up good for the fan. if i turn it 180 then part of the fan will be blocked completely by the case..

i also cannot move the PSU back so it lines up correctly because of two reasons:
- i cannot really see any way to mount my PSU then if move it back a little
- because this ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting is then making it even less stable (it's not in the middle then anymore)

nightmare... it's so hard to see these things before buying something, and afterwards it's too late :/

any idea what should i do then ?

stoanee January 6, 2011 07:53 AM

You could leave it as shown by your first picture, it will help ventilate your case.

juice99 January 6, 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 471220)
You could leave it as shown by your first picture, it will help ventilate your case.

but it would suck the air from the inside of the case and blow it outside, right?
i read that it will lower the positive pressure that the FT02 is trying to achieve to have better airflow...

i will try both ways, but neither is the 'perfect' solution which i was looking for :(

thanks for help :)

enaberif January 6, 2011 08:18 AM

While the case tries to maintain positive airflow the biggest thing this case has that is awesome is the fact all heat rises.. So put the psu as you have it so it pulls the air out of the case.

Vittra January 6, 2011 09:24 AM

Hmm interesting. I have the same combo and I'll be putting the system together tonight.

I can tell you this much - most pictures I've seen of the FT02 have been with the PSU's fan as an intake (fan facing towards the outside of case)... and many have been with AX/HX 750's and 850s. The fact that it doesn't line up perfectly is likely to not be a big deal, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The case DOES come with a PSU strap however. Have you tried mounting it just with the strap and seeing how secure it is? It likely isn't safe this way without it being screwed, but still a consideration.