Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Grrrr 680i

I'm not going to bother RMA'ng my striker I don't think.They'll just send me another one , and it's crap so I don't really want it.

I might stuff it into a blender or something.

------------------

Here's a couple things I have seen round the 'net ; Might help might not.

-Don't assume for a second that 'reset to defaults' will give you stable values.The default setting for 'ram volts' is "auto".This can be bad however as it will allow the ram volts to be automatically increased under heavy loads.And it can go to far , now your ram is dead.

-The thermal solution on the northbridge is garbage.The best solution would be to redo it with good thermal compund and the make sure it has good airflow , if not a dedicated fan.

-The 680i really doesnt like ram above 2 volts.This may be related to the above problem , but no-one is sure.Generally , the people running 1.85 volt/pc6400 ram are having far fewer problems than the people running pc8000/ 2.1 volts etc.....

stupid chipset.

I wish everyone good luck.
Old January 9, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
dr silver - what was the ram voltage on your system when the trouble started?
I was running my Ballistix at 2.2V...

Now I'm actually running both sets, OCZ and Ballistix at 2.1V on 800MHz at 4-4-4-12...for 4Gb and there's no issues yet! Rest of my rig is running stock though...wonder if it's gonna be the same when I start OC'ing

Ps. No reply yet from the ASUS ppl...
Old January 9, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Bad news dr silver.

One of my clanmates who runs a p5n32 like yers.....

His mobo just died.

Same problem , northbridge killing ram

I'll give you the same advice I gave him ;

Get some cheep pc6400 ram that runs at 1.85 volts.Install it.
Reset the cmos.

If it works , your mobo is in 'bitch mode'.It'll never run ram above 2 volts again.

If it doesnt , the bios is toast , or the mobo is.

srry mang.

edit ; I think you will find your current setup unstable.It might work , but it'll probably crash allatime , and you won't get any OC.
Old January 9, 2008, 05:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

FYI one of my customer just called - his rig died, won't restart. The Mobo? An eVga 680i... he's coming over to perform some tests. I'll post the results later tonight.
Old January 9, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Interesting. I use the same board, EVGA, no problems after over a month or 2, with 4 sticks DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 2.2V. Hope I don't run into this problem. I may try going down to 2.1V just to be safe.... I also use a RAM cooler, is it heat related?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 9, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well, thb, I DON'T KNOW IT ANYMORE!! DANG...It might be heat related....these northbridges get REALLY hot! I actually never had problems with heat....but when this issue started...I checked my NB and it was so hot that I burnt myself...not kidding here...

I added a little fan....and ran like that for a while....but it doesn't seem to help. Still unstable as .

I'll do some more testing tonight to see if I can pinpoint this problem exactly!
Old January 9, 2008, 07:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well mine hasnt crashed since i put the mem into the black slots and forced 2.1v in the bios...im running the ram pretty gently right now (its pc2-8500 running linked/synced with my cpu at default speed, so 1333/666mhz), while i wait for some ceramique. when that comes im gonna grease up whatever i can and try to speed things back up again (was running linked/synced@1480/740). i want to try ramping the speed back up to where it was stable before but in case it is a heat problem, im gong to do some work on my cooling first...

still havnt got my call back from xfx tech support either called a week ago and was told to leave my number and expect a call 'in a few days'.

good luck everyone having trouble

Last edited by t0m; January 9, 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old January 9, 2008, 09:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

False Alarm guys... well, the rig was down, but it's not the Ram nor the controller. The OCZ 750W PSU died. So one 680i saved!
Old January 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Response from ASUS

Okay...here's the response from ASUS:

"Make sure RAM timings and voltages in BIOS are set to what the vendor spec's.

MEMORY QUALIFICATION

Unfortunately we cannot validate every manufacturer’s memory; we have to rely on them to validate their memory with our boards. To find out which memory is compatible, please contact the manufacturer to see if they have approved this memory with the board you have or are considering.

When we design our MB we follow the chipset maker's spec with regards to memory. We do validate the memory IC maker's reference designs with our MB to make sure they are up to spec and to see if we need to add support for higher density ICs.

Most memory module makers do not follow the IC maker's reference designs so they may use any ICs on their memory module. There is nothing wrong with this! , but if they deviate from the IC maker's reference designs (or even if they use the IC maker's reference) they should do some level of validation to insure quality.

Here is a list of memory manufacturers that use our motherboards, as well as others, to do this type of testing, and who will post a guarantee that their memory will work in our motherboards, as well as others. Please check the following websites for compatibility:

Welcome to Corsair
Memory Solutions (Flash, DDR Memory, DRAM) - Unigen Corporation
SMART: A manufacturer of computer memory, and liquid-crystal display solutions
Mushkin - Get More

TROUBLESHOOTING

If you are having problems with the memory that you have installed into the motherboard please start by running Memtest86 on the system. To do this, go to:

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

and click on revision 3.0. You will be prompted with two choices after this, one for Linux and one pre-compiled for Dos/Windows. Download the pre-compiled for Dos/Windows to your desktop and unzip or extract all files to a single fold! er. In this folder, click on the "install.bat" file and a Dos window should come up asking you to choose a target drive (If the Dos screen comes up and then immediately goes away then all of the files were not extracted to one folder. Please create a new folder, then drag and drop the files into it.). Choose A: and insert a blank formatted floppy disk.
This program installs on the floppy very quickly and the program cannot be viewed from inside the Windows OS, as it is based on a Caldera Dos program. If you try to view it and can't, don’t panic; the program is there.

Re-boot the system to this floppy disk and the program should automatically start. The amount of memory in your system will determine how long the tests take; you want the program to complete at least 7 passes (for systems with a large amount of memory this can take several hours—you may want to run this test overnight). If after the 7 passes you have no errors then you can rule out the memory as a problem.
If you start getting a multitude of errors please! try removing the memory, down to a single stick if using more than one, or if only using one try a different DIMM slot to see if the problem persists in the alternate slot. If using multiple sticks, try each stick individually to determine if you have one or more bad sticks. This will help you determine if you have a bad DIMM slot or bad memory.

Best Regards,

Rob
Level 3 Support Engineer
Asus Technology
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Phone: (812)-282-2787
RMA: (510)739-3777 opt. 2

So does this help me? No not really...my ram passes Memtests just fine! But Dimm slots checking? Hmmmm....let's go see!
Old January 9, 2008, 10:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

3.0charlie - thats good news well kinda...loosing a psu is never good either.

dr silver - strangely mine only seems stable in the black slots. good luck. too bad they gave you a canned response though. i guess its hard to expect a detailed answer via email.