Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2008, 07:17 PM
Rookie

Unhappy Booting up = nothing

Hey Guys I hope you can help,

I just bought several new computer components including a motherboard, CPU, heatsink, memory, and video card.

Motherboard: Intel DQ35JO
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme x9650 3.0Ghz
Memory: 4GB DDR-2 800 Mhz
Video Card: NVIDIA 8800GTX
Power Supply: Corsair 620 Watt
Hard-Drive: SATA 500gb Western Digital

I have installed the components into my motherboard and powered up the computer. Unfortunately, I got a blank screen with no video. Power is getting to the motherboard as I can see the green light on the board lit up as well as the memory LED indicator. This suggests the power is fine. I hear no beeping or warning bells so the CPU is not overheating and the memory sticks are seated properly. To be on the safe side I re-seated the CPU, heat sink, and memory cards. I disconnected the hard-drive, DVD, video card, USB connectors leaving only the CPU, heatsink, power supply and memory connected. I then attempted to boot again and still no success, just a blank screen with no warnings.
Everything seems to be functioning fine.

When I change the BIOS jumper to "configuration" mode I do get a picture on the monitor. It brings me to the BIOS setup as it should and it lists the proper CPU the proper memory, proper fan speeds, voltages, and temperature levels. This suggested to me that the motherboard and processor seem to be working fine.

I would say I have an intermediate knowledge of computer hardware but I am far from an expert. I cannot figure out what is wrong with the system. I figure I should at least get a screen coming up and showing me the BIOS strings when the jumper is on normal but I don't get a thing.

I don't know if I have to change some of these BIOS settings or what the deal is. Right now I have the monitor cable plugged into the onboard video and have enabled the onboard video. I removed the PCI-E video card for now.
Anyone have any ideas what is wrong or what I need to go? I just bought the motherboard and CPU brand-new from NCIX along with the memory. Based on the BIOS working in config mode I assume that means the motherboard is working just fine and since it lists the proper CPU I assume its working properly as well.

I know the motherboard and CPU are compatible and the memory is as well. To be honest, I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

I would appreciate any suggestions and help from any of you guys!

Thanks a ton,

Dave
Old January 5, 2008, 07:55 PM
Top Prospect

you should plug in the pcie video card back into the motherboard. Power it up and connect the vga cord to the on board video card and proceed. You should then install the nvidia video card driver.

Paphman910
Old January 5, 2008, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Default No go on the PCIE

Hey thanks for the reply,

I tried what you suggested and plugged the PCI-E card back in. I left the monitor connected to the VGA port of the onboard video and made sure the PCI-E card was all powered up. I booted up and same problem - blank screen with everything seemingly running fine.

I then tried to swtich the monitor to the PCI-E card in case the bios had already automatically changed the configuration on recognizing the video card. Still blank screen only. I then booted up with the BIOS in Configuration mode and managed to get back to the settings again. I changed the Video settings to PCI-E and spent awhile changing the settings there and trying different attempts at plugging the monitor into the vga onboard video, removing the PCIE card, plugging into PCIE card with onboard disabled, etc....nothing worked.....The only screen I am able to get is the BIOS settings screen and only when I have the jumper in the configuration setting...I can't even get to the point of loading an OS let alone accessing driver software... :P

Any other ideas?

Right now I am refusing to admit that the motherboard is dead....just doesnt make sense if the power all lights up and the bios load in configuration mode right? I hate returning stuff...but its seeming like the board might be the issue regardless...any thoughts?
Old January 5, 2008, 08:58 PM
Top Prospect

Did you plug in the 6 pin connector from the video card to the power supply 6 pin molex connector?

Paphman910
Old January 5, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Nah...keep your spirits up! It happened to me a little while ago....Tried all kinds of stuff and NOTHING helped! It should start up automatically actually....but sometimes it just doesn't

I suggest you take your GPU and RAM out and reseat both of them....but start with a single RAM stick. Make sure everything is set to auto.... and power your system up. If it doesn't work....try it again! Try it three times to the max....

Now if that doesn't work...remove the CMOS battery to completely reset it! Good Luck!

Ps. You must have gotten a NICE Christmas bonus! LOL....nice setup!
Old January 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't know this for a fact, but if you check out Intel's website, they have a processor compatibility chart available for your motherboard, and it doesn't list ANY of the 45nm processors as being acceptable matches. On the other hand, some other motherboards do.

Considering that there's already been a stink about the 680i chipsets not supporting the new Quad-cores, and a lot of other chipsets requiring BIOS updates, that might be the problem.
Old January 5, 2008, 09:48 PM
Top Prospect

I checked out the intel website, and it looks like this motherboard doesn't support the new 45 nm processor with 12 mb L2 cache.

Paphman910
Old January 5, 2008, 09:51 PM
Rookie

Default <--- Idiot

Haha, thanks! I am an idiot!!!! It turns out you are right, I saw that the motherboard was compatible with the LGA775 series and assumed that included the intel 2 extreme....I didn't even bother checking to make sure it supported the 45nm units.....Damn.....So I assume that the motherboard is incompatible...I have ordered a different motherboard by ASUS that clearly supports the 45nm chipset....lets hope for the best now!!!

Thanks,

Dave
Old January 5, 2008, 10:00 PM
Top Prospect

What I don't like Intel is that they keep changing chipset due to different series of processors being released. Therefore you have to buy a new motherboard when you upgrade. I hope you ordered a motherboard with no on board video with a chipset X38.

Paphman910
Old January 5, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think I'm almost glad that Intel's introducing completely new sockets for its next generation of processors. Spare us all from another round of trying to figure out whether processors that are physically compatible are electrically compatible too.