Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2008, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Default Followup

ARGGGGGGG!!!!! I have just totally learned to totally hate Asus through this whole process. Over a month later, after much hell and many hours on the phone, being out fairly significant money for shipping to the U.S., I finally got the motherboard back from Asus, with zero notes, zero explanations, just the board in a box. That would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't. As far as I can tell, it is the same motherboard with the exact same problems - untouched. And my poor buddy is now into his second month without a computer here.

This is just totally an insane amount of time and effort wasted on my part over this stupid board. I should have made my buddy suck it up and pay for an XBX2..... No more Asus boards for me, and no more $80 motherboards of ANY kind. This is just an insane hassle and waste of time - it would have been cheaper to buy a $300 board that worked.
"...the truth will make you free." John 8:32
Old February 22, 2008, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherJack View Post
Yep, tried the P/S on another board/chip, and it worked fine.

You ever tried one without "supported' ram? Did you get any video when doing so?
Yeah I ran unsupported just fine, even high voltage stuff that shouldn't work. Not sure what the issue is.

Quote:
ARGGGGGGG!!!!! I have just totally learned to totally hate Asus through this whole process. Over a month later, after much hell and many hours on the phone, being out fairly significant money for shipping to the U.S., I finally got the motherboard back from Asus, with zero notes, zero explanations, just the board in a box. That would be fine if it worked, but it doesn't. As far as I can tell, it is the same motherboard with the exact same problems - untouched. And my poor buddy is now into his second month without a computer here.

This is just totally an insane amount of time and effort wasted on my part over this stupid board. I should have made my buddy suck it up and pay for an XBX2..... No more Asus boards for me, and no more $80 motherboards of ANY kind. This is just an insane hassle and waste of time - it would have been cheaper to buy a $300 board that worked.
Sorry to hear that :\. I do like this board, i had a few issues with it but it should be working. The issues I had were related to RAM needing too much voltage. When it encounters ram that it cannot power, or that is picky, It would freeze eventually, or not post at all. I fixed it by lowering the speed of the ram but i dunno what the issue here is..

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old February 22, 2008, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually, sorry for the double post, but have you tried a video card with it? If it can post, it might be because it needs a BIOS update. I needed to update mine for my brisbane to work.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

My Heatware!
Old February 22, 2008, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
Actually, sorry for the double post, but have you tried a video card with it? If it can post, it might be because it needs a BIOS update. I needed to update mine for my brisbane to work.

Yeah, I tried with my old stand-by PCI video card. Nothing. Tried with no ram hoping for the "no RAM installed" beeps. Nothing. Tried all the different brands of RAM I had available (admittedly, only two), nothing. This board has never beeped, never powered a monitor, never done anything to show any sign of life at all, other than the CPU fan powering up briefly when the power switch is pressed.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, I tried with my old stand-by PCI video card. Nothing. Tried with no ram hoping for the "no RAM installed" beeps. Nothing. Tried all the different brands of RAM I had available (admittedly, only two), nothing. This board has never beeped, never powered a monitor, never done anything to show any sign of life at all, other than the CPU fan powering up briefly when the power switch is pressed.
And you have that little 4 pin thingy plugged in too right? It needs the ATX one as well as the 4 pin power thing near the CPU slot and to the back of the board.

If thats all good.. gota RMA it atgain :\

My Heatware!
Old February 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheator View Post
And you have that little 4 pin thingy plugged in too right? It needs the ATX one as well as the 4 pin power thing near the CPU slot and to the back of the board.

If thats all good.. gota RMA it atgain :\
Yep, 4 pin thingy plugged in. :(

And I just talked to the vendor I got the board from, and they're going to take care of it so I don't have to deal with Asus any more.

Thanks,