Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2010, 01:33 AM
Top Prospect

Default Woah. What happened to 700GB of my hard drive...

I've just finished building my new computer, and everything seems to be working in a timely fashion. XD

After putting in the OS disc, it gave me an option to mess around with my drive. So what I did was split it into a 250GB portion called Disc 0, and the remaining was called unallocated space. The installation automatically created a third portion that was a 100mb large (which it said was reserved exclusively for system files...).

Upon finally finishing the installation, I boot up the computer only to find that there is but one drive... the disc 0 drive that has 250GB. What in the world happened to the other 700GB? How do I retrieve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. ~~ Is Microsoft Essentials an anti-virus software or an anti-spyware software?
Old December 24, 2010, 02:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You formatted only 250Gb of your drive...go to the disk manager and format the 700 remaining GB.
And for the other question, Microsoft essential. No real need for a anti-spy IMO.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old December 24, 2010, 03:17 AM
MVP
F@H

Windows will automatically install a 100 Mb portion on an unformated drive, called System Reserved, which you really don't need for most installs. From the book 'Windows 7 Inside Out':

"This stub of a partition, new in Windows 7 serves two functions. First it holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database. And second, it reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLocker Drive Encryption feature.

If you're confident you'll never use Bitlocker and prefer to do without the additional complexity of this 100-MB Systems Reserved partition, you best bet is to make sure it's never created. For a truly clean installation starting from an unformatted hard drive, you must use an alternative disk-management utility, such as the setup disk available from many hard-disk manufacturers or a start up disk from Windows Vista."

Not the kind of thing you wish to learn just after you installed Windows 7 and lost 100 Mb. Unless you want to reformat, you're stuck with it. And in some instances, if you had 2 unformatted hard drives, Windows 7 will sometimes install the System Reserved on the 1st hard drive and drive C on the 2nd.

As to the remainder of the drive, to format that, use Windows disk management:
Click on Start
type in "diskmgmt.msc" no quotes and it will run the Disk Management system.

You'll see the 100 Mb section, your 1st partition and the portion that's yet to be formatted - shown in Black as Unallocated space. Similar to this image, except all disk space is allocated here.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dGxtS0biG0...0/diskmgmt.png

Last edited by LaughingCrow; December 24, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old December 24, 2010, 04:47 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks! That's very, very helpful. It certainly saved me the pain of having to re-install the OS.