Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

Default Diagnostic Help

I am trying to Diagnose a problem with my Monitor. When I turn the Monitor on after its been off for a few hours, the desktop Image appears but the Monitor Flashes 4 to 5 times. If I turn the Monitor off and then turn the main power switch off and let it sit for a few hours, it will start up the same but instead flash about 20 times. After the flashing stops, there is no more flashing while the monitor is left on.

Also, if I turn the brightness down to 50% and less it doesn't flash.

I have searched the web for an answer but have not come across the identical problem. All the others have the monitor shut off after the flashing.

I have attached a small video showing the powering up and the flashing.

So far I think I have narrowed it down to these possible problems.

1) Bad Capacitors on Power Supply Board or Inverter Board. ($)

2) Bad Inverter Coils (would have to replace the Circuit Board ($$$$$)

3) Bad Backlight Bulbs ($$$$$$$$)

This is a 32" Samsung SyncMaster 320P (Large Format Display)(1360 x 768)

Any assistance would be most welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SUNP0002-Monitor Flashing.zip (1.59 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by Gonzo; December 23, 2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old December 23, 2010, 08:36 PM
Banned
F@H

might be the bulb needing to warm up. you did hook it up to an ups or power bar, also to another socket in the house?

will it flash if not connected to pc or you cant tell?
Old December 23, 2010, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
might be the bulb needing to warm up. you did hook it up to an ups or power bar, also to another socket in the house?

will it flash if not connected to pc or you cant tell?

It's hooked up to the UPS, but on the Power Bar side with the overload protection.

Haven't tried another outlet because it's mounted on the wall. Anyways that shouldn't matter because the problem is dependant on the time it's off. Shutting the main power off, cut off all phantom power to the power supply, resulting in a longer interval of flashing. This would suggest that the Capacitors are totally draining and taking longer to charge fully. I so hope this is a Capacitor problem because all the Capacitors add up to less than 10 bucks. Also, I am not having any problems with anything else on that circuit and the UPS isn't cycling due to Voltage Problems.
Old December 24, 2010, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

For Better Display
1. Adjust computer resolution and screen injection rate (refresh rate) on computer as described below to
enjoy the best quality of picture. You can have an uneven quality of picture in the screen if the best
quality of picture is not provided in TFT-LCD.
��
Resolution: 1360 x 768

��
Vertical frequency (refresh rate): 60 Hz
2. TFT LCD panels manufactured by using advanced semiconductor technology with precision of 1ppm
(one millionth) above are used for this product. But the pixels of RED, GREEN, BLUE and WHITE
color appear to be bright sometimes or some black pixels may be seen. This is not from bad quality
and you can use it without any problelms.

��
For example, the number of TFT LCD sub pixels contained in this product are 3,133,440
3. When cleaning the monitor and the panel outside, please apply the recommended small amount of
cleaner by using a soft cloth to polish. Do not force the LCD area but rub softly.
If excessive force is applied, you may stain it.
4. If you are not satisfied with the picture quality, you can get better quality of picture by performing the
"auto adjustment function" in display screen that is appeared as window termination button is
pressed.

If there's still noise after the automatic adjustment, use the FINE/COARSE adjustment function.

other what cable using to hook to moniter ? is MDC turned on ?
A Multiple Display Control (MDC) is an application allowing various displays to be easily and simultaneously
operated on a PC. RS-232C, a standard of serial communication, is used for communicating between a PC
and a display. Therefore, a serial cable should be connected between the serial port on a PC and the serial
port on a display
Old December 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
For Better Display

1. Adjust computer resolution and screen injection rate (refresh rate) on computer as described below to
enjoy the best quality of picture. You can have an uneven quality of picture in the screen if the best
quality of picture is not provided in TFT-LCD.

��
Resolution: 1360 x 768
��

Vertical frequency (refresh rate): 60 Hz
2. TFT LCD panels manufactured by using advanced semiconductor technology with precision of 1ppm
(one millionth) above are used for this product. But the pixels of RED, GREEN, BLUE and WHITE
color appear to be bright sometimes or some black pixels may be seen. This is not from bad quality
and you can use it without any problelms.
��

For example, the number of TFT LCD sub pixels contained in this product are 3,133,440
3. When cleaning the monitor and the panel outside, please apply the recommended small amount of
cleaner by using a soft cloth to polish. Do not force the LCD area but rub softly.
If excessive force is applied, you may stain it.
4. If you are not satisfied with the picture quality, you can get better quality of picture by performing the
"auto adjustment function" in display screen that is appeared as window termination button is
pressed.
If there's still noise after the automatic adjustment, use the FINE/COARSE adjustment function.

other what cable using to hook to moniter ? is MDC turned on ?
A Multiple Display Control (MDC) is an application allowing various displays to be easily and simultaneously
operated on a PC. RS-232C, a standard of serial communication, is used for communicating between a PC
and a display. Therefore, a serial cable should be connected between the serial port on a PC and the serial

port on a display

Thanks Kapt, but not sure what you are try to say.

Old December 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

_dangtx_ mite be right warming the back lights after power been off for some time(over nite)

thought may have it in MDC mode and its looking for other moniters
Old December 25, 2010, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

Disconected it from the PC, and yes the flashing is still there.
Old December 25, 2010, 07:10 PM
Banned
F@H

do a quick in and out, say 10-20 times. see if it does anything. power cycling mad man style sometimes works.
Old January 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

Default Holy Samsung Crap

I found my answer on Youtube and yes it is a Capacitor problem and it is most likely (95%) in the power supply. It seems that Samsung has been using cheap Capasitors in its LCD's for quite sometime and certian models are extremely effected. I didn't find my particular Model but wow, I couldn't believe just how many video's have been posted about capacitor problems in LCD Monitors/TV's. So if you are having startup problems or visual issue, open the sucker up and check the Capacitors for leaking and bulging. Can-Type Caps are easy to replace and cost only pennies.