Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2010, 10:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Mysterious Gaming Problem

Hi..

So I have posted about this problem in a few previous threads, but have always included other questions, and often never got this problem solved.

Here is my problem:
I have owned grand theft auto 4 for the PC as soon as it was availible on Steam, and played it religiously. As a matter of fact I have over 125 hours played on it.

So I used to play it so much, until one day (AFTER I GOT MY NEW 5970 AFTER SWITCHING FROM MY GTX 460) (I have been with Nvidia my whole life and the 5970 was my first ATI card), it just wouldn't launch. If I tried launching the game like 10 times in a row, it would probably launch 3 times out of all of the 10. And when it does launch it would crash to desktop.

I have uninstalled the game from steam several times,then deleted anything that had GTA4 on it from my computer, than install it again, several times. I have tried defragmenting. I have tried verifying the game cache or whatever it is called. I have basically tried everything.

I have updated my drivers to 10.10 (I stick at 10.5), and if i recall correctly it game had worked a couple of times, but the drivers weren't working vbery well for me over all so I went back to 10.5 which seem to work the best for me.

This is really pissing me off because I love the game, and it has been like this for already 2 months and I have been trying to ignore and let it go. But the holidays are coming up and I would very much like to play this game.

Do you guys think it is the steam copy (I know they don't have DRM, but maybe I have uninstalled and re isntalled too much?), or is it some compatibility issue?, My ATI drivers?, anything? Help please!

I run a 64bit install of Windows 7.

Thanks a million in advance.

-s288

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
G.Skill pc2 8500 1066mhz RAM
Corsair TX750 Watt Power Supply
Western Digital 500gb and Seagate 500gb in RAID 0
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
OCZ Vendetta 2 LGA 775 CPU cooler with bolt thru kit
XFX HD5970
Steelseries 7G Mechanical Keyboard
Samsung 305T 30 Inch 2560x1600 LCD monitor
Altec Lansing 5.1 Surround Speakers, Sennheiser HD215's, G35's
Steelseries Xai Laser Mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old December 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you uninstall the old drivers and remove the folder before installing the new drivers? what I usually do when I am upgrading or changing drivers is I use revo uninstaller I use this becasue it will remove all of the folders and registries that the installed driver of program used, of course if you don't have that program you can just uninstall the driver or program and use CCcleaner to delete any leftover regs then reboot and install the new driver.
What is the error you are getting?
Old December 17, 2010, 10:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Did you uninstall the old drivers and remove the folder before installing the new drivers? what I usually do when I am upgrading or changing drivers is I use revo uninstaller I use this becasue it will remove all of the folders and registries that the installed driver of program used, of course if you don't have that program you can just uninstall the driver or program and use CCcleaner to delete any leftover regs then reboot and install the new driver.
What is the error you are getting?
I have actually done that so many times, but with Driver Sweeper. The game (when it does launch) says This program stopped working or whatever it says (I can't remember hthe exact words) then it crashes to my desktop. So basically it launches then shows a black screen like it is about to load, but then it doesn't load, and crashes instead.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old December 17, 2010, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you run driver sweeper to remove both ATI and nvidia? Just wondering if there's anything else left over. However, if your other games are running fine...that is quite weird. ALSO, I have no idea if GTA4 has some sort of preset settings folder (like for BF BC2 it's in my documents somewhere, or users/ something), that could be causing it to crash immediately.
Old December 17, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also have you backed uped your saved games then uninstalled the game removed all of the leftovers then reinstalled the game? I am thinking that the game itself might have configured to the first videocard so when you re and re'ed the vidcards the game is trying to access something that the second card doesn't have so the game then crashes. I know that some of my games love my nvid card and when I installed my game it reads that myt nvidcard has phys so it uses that but I would imagine ( I am only guessing here) that if I where to replace the card with one of my ATI card the game would run into problems
Old December 17, 2010, 10:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Have you run driver sweeper to remove both ATI and nvidia? Just wondering if there's anything else left over. However, if your other games are running fine...that is quite weird. ALSO, I have no idea if GTA4 has some sort of preset settings folder (like for BF BC2 it's in my documents somewhere, or users/ something), that could be causing it to crash immediately.
Yes I have removed like everything (ATI and Nvidia). Yes the rest of my games are all running fine, and even when GTA4 was working with my 5970, it ran terribly (<25FPS average). Is there still a possibility of there being a preset settings folder in my Docs, EVEN if my GTA4 copy is a Steam copy. If there was a folder in my Docs, would i just uninstall the game again, and DELETE the folder in my Docs, and then reinstall?

PS: I am not at home, at the moment which is why I'm not sure if there really is a preset folding in my Docs.

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old December 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that even the saved games files also save the game settings becasue in my save ( two worlds) games folder ( located on my win7x64 pc "C:\Users\Administrator\Saved Games\Two Worlds II" )the average size is 550kb which is large for a save game file .
Old December 17, 2010, 10:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I think that even the saved games files also save the game settings becasue in my save ( two worlds) games folder ( located on my win7x64 pc "C:\Users\Administrator\Saved Games\Two Worlds II" )the average size is 550kb which is large for a save game file .
Would that still be in the folder that you said if the game was a Steam game? Or would it be in a folder in the Steam folder?

Q9550 E0 stepping @ 4Ghz
Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
Western Digital 250gb
Antec 1200
XFX HD5970
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old December 17, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayan288 View Post
Would that still be in the folder that you said if the game was a Steam game? Or would it be in a folder in the Steam folder?
I would check both places , also did a quick google search and found a place thqat posts a list og gta4 errors and causes here is the link

FIXING GTA IV (PC) Errors, crashes, install problems and freezes. | Gaming News Link
Old December 17, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure if the setting is still in the newer cat's, but try disabling Catalyst AI. That should disable one core on the 5970 (if it works like the older X2 cards did)