Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2010, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default My PC shorts when using front USB

So I just bought and built my first computer build, listed in my specs. It works perfectly fine, plays Left 4 Dead decently (will get a new GPU when I see what the new AMD cards offer), but whenever I plug something into the front ports (USB, mic, headphone) while the computer is on, it shorts the system. It causes it to perform an odd reboot where it just stops at the ASUS screen on reboot and wont go any further. I have to do a hard power off to get it to do anything. but if the USB is plugged in while the computer is off, and then I turn it on, it works fine.

So how do I fix this problem?

EDIT: sorry should have put this in new builds forum, if someone would transfer it over there that would be cool
Old December 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check Bios fore USB setting

ONE will be high preformnce "no hot plug"
the other will be what you want "hot plug"
Old December 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattingDawg View Post
So I just bought and built my first computer build, listed in my specs. It works perfectly fine, plays Left 4 Dead decently (will get a new GPU when I see what the new AMD cards offer), but whenever I plug something into the front ports (USB, mic, headphone) while the computer is on, it shorts the system. It causes it to perform an odd reboot where it just stops at the ASUS screen on reboot and wont go any further. I have to do a hard power off to get it to do anything. but if the USB is plugged in while the computer is off, and then I turn it on, it works fine.

So how do I fix this problem?

EDIT: sorry should have put this in new builds forum, if someone would transfer it over there that would be cool
What case? Sonata 3 had a huge issue with this.

Otherwise it comes down to a very bad grounding issue with the front usb ports and if you continue to use the case you could damage your board.
Old December 12, 2010, 01:21 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Usb ports should be wired like the Italian flag... with ground to the right.

Like this:

If its not wired like above, redo it. OR if it is, you may have a hot-plug issue as described in the first reply by ZZLEE
Old December 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Check that you've plugged it onto the motherboardboard correctly. Other than that, I've had a good haldf dozen computers with buggered up front ports that short when you plug something into them.
Old December 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
Banned
F@H

does it move about, well more than it should?

i never use anything on the case, only the ports on the mobo. if i need something closer to me, i use a 5 dollar usb hub.

the case might cost 100 bucks, but the little pcb board thingie is made to cost 20 cents or so, and if it works now? good but it may short and kill your header/mobo i nthe future, with a certain degree of certainty :)
Old December 12, 2010, 03:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Check that you've plugged it onto the motherboardboard correctly. Other than that, I've had a good haldf dozen computers with buggered up front ports that short when you plug something into them.
had this same problem a few times too many with cheaper case seems like some folks making them just don't care enough to pay attention
Old December 12, 2010, 04:12 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
does it move about, well more than it should?

i never use anything on the case, only the ports on the mobo. if i need something closer to me, i use a 5 dollar usb hub.

the case might cost 100 bucks, but the little pcb board thingie is made to cost 20 cents or so, and if it works now? good but it may short and kill your header/mobo i nthe future, with a certain degree of certainty :)
You sir are one morbid SOB! Its like saying one day youll get in your car and it'll explode. (Well that or pixies will hop out and jack your stuff).

17" Macbook Pro (early 2011 model)
2.2Ghz i7-2720QM | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz | 750gb Toshiba HDD | ATI 6750M 1GB
Old December 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

SquattingDawg yes check pinout with a multimeter or follow your MB manaul pinout scheme, yes them case

usb case ports are cheezy for first tug on the cord breaks the socket causing shorts
Attached Images

Old December 12, 2010, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the responses, but sadly the problem persists. Im afraid to test whether i've fixed it too many times... But the there wasnt an option for hot plug for USB in the BIOS. All the USB headers are connected properly and securely... I think I'll just use the back USB ports... sucks though, being a step down from their flagship model, I didn't think the HAF 932 would have these type issues