Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 09:27 AM
Rookie

Default BSODs on Startup - RAM or Motherboard Issue?

I've had this computer since June this year. Ever since I built it, I've been having nothing but trouble with it. Even though I just registered for the Christmas contest, I was hoping some of you guys might have some ideas on what might be going while I'm here.

Heres what I'm using:

M4A785TD-M Evo mAtx mobo
Phenom II x2 555 BE CPU
GEiL DDR3 1333 Memory (2x2GB)
HIS 5850 (Cypress Pro) GPU
Creative XTreme Music Sound Card
OCZ 700 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit

I've been plauged by BSODs like you wouldn't believe. I've done everything (It'd be hard to list everything I did, so lets just say I've tried everything) I could think of... I took it to a local PC repair shop and they couldn't tell me what was causing the problems, if thats any indication.

A few of the things I've tried include: Memtest (18 passes no errors), setting the correct timings/voltages in the BIOS, taking out everything non essential (video/sound cards), reinstalling Windows which sometimes also caused a BSOD while extracting the files, reinstalling the latest drivers, swapping out the original OCZ sticks with new GEiL ram, and every possible combination of those sticks in the availible ram slots. Thats barley scratching the surface, but you guys get the idea....everything.

Now, the best part of this is that my computer works 100% without issue if I do one thing: Change the clock speeds on the Ram between 1333 and 1600 every time I turn it back on (I haven't bothered trying lower settings). I've been doing it that way for months when I don't use sleep mode, and it's been working great since; Not a single problem came up. Yesterday I thought I'd not change it to see what would happen - I still get BSODs almost as soon as the desktop loads. It's hard to explain what happens before the actual stop error occurs, but lets just say it's almost like drivers aren't loading (Except that the desktop looks normal, so video drivers are ok, I guess) and programs don't start. Explorer.exe usually gives the "stopped working" message before the BSOD if I try to do anything.

Do you guys have any idea why this would happen?

Last edited by PeopleCanFly; December 10, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old December 10, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

can try cpu on another known working MB
Old December 10, 2010, 01:24 PM
Rookie

I've swaped processors with a friend using the exact same type I have (Phenom II x2 555 BE). No dice. I ended up just keeping his in my computer since it was kind of a pain swapping then and I didn't feel like getting mine back...His unlocked to a quad-core while mine a tri-core so it worked out for me anyway! (He didn't mind)

His computer works fine, btw.
Old December 10, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

fix problem ?
Old December 10, 2010, 01:55 PM
Rookie

No, nothing changed.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As much of a PITA as this is going to be. Swap the board out if possible.
Probably something not working right there.

I chased the same kind of deamon out a while back on my own.
Turned out to be the boards fault.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 10, 2010, 02:57 PM
Rookie

I suppose it's pretty much the only thing it can be at this point. I've been fighting this issue for months after it was first built then just kinda forgot about it since I was so used to going in the BIOS and changing the setting as needed...I'm just wondering if it could be anything else. I love how the first computer I ever built was flawless, then the moment I switch from an Intel/Nvidia setup to an AMD/ATI setup it blows up in my face.

Hmm...I wonder if I can get a replacement from ASUS. But god, the thought of even opening the case again. I probably rebuilt the damn thing a dozen times! It's a SFF case too (SG03-f) so you can imagine cramming all that in there.
Old December 10, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try it out of the case when you pull it aprt on a on cardbord see if its a short between bord and case. ?
Have you swapped memory with buddy and see it helps. ?
Old December 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
MVP

Sounds like a board issue to me for sure, the other easy thing you can try just to rule out the memory completely is switch your memory for your buddies since they sound like similiar builds. If his memory has the same issue on your rig, you've already ruled out cpu, its got to be board.
Old December 12, 2010, 07:05 AM
Rookie

I'll be testing out the ram on Tuesday; I can't believe I didn't think to try swapping them while I was at my friends house!

Funny how I tried everything else, though. I guess I didn't really consider it since I've never gotten a bad stick before (On any of mine or my friends build). I'm actually hoping it's a ram problem just because I'm so tired of looking in my case.