Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2010, 07:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Ethernet port problems

Got a Lenovo R61 here. Installed Windows XP 32 bit and starting installing drivers. Ethernet in device manager is giving "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". Uninstalled and reinstalled the drive various times without sucess. Reinstalling XP again now for a last hope.

Anything else I should try before telling the client his out of service laptop has a faulty ethernet port?

It's an Intel 82566MC btw.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I made a thread and have the same problem with my Windows 7 desktop machine. Could it possibly have been some realtek driver update from windows that broke it?
Old December 2, 2010, 07:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wouldn't be windows updates in my case. Fresh Windows XP SP3 install.

What's even weirder is that I can still PXE boot. That's the only reason I'm not writting it off as hardware just yet.
Old December 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
Banned
F@H

live cd and browse,download a bit. no funky stuff, disconnects? driver. i have a bunch of copies of ubuntu and such, give it to the guy then if he continues to complain i look at the machine
Old December 2, 2010, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I re-installed windows, flashed the BIOS, and changed a bunch of the settings. Reinstalled the driver and it's working again now. Not sure which step fixed the problem but I'm happy. Reboot it several times now and make sure it doesn't do it again.