Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
Rookie

Default Weird cold boot issue - Please help diagnose

I'm experience some very unusual cold boot issue with my computer. The specs are:
i7 860 oc at 3.5ghz w/ 1.216v
Asus P7P55D Premium firmware 1702
4 x 2gb DDR3 1600 G.Skill Trident
MSI GTX480
Intel G2 SSD
Antec Truepower Quattro 850watt

Every time i cold boot the computer (after over night shut off) it gives me instability issue. Sometimes BSOD, sometimes driver fail to load, sometimes random restart. The weird thing is, if i turn off the computer immediately after the first boot and then restart then all the instability goes away. It is always the first boot that gives me problem, then any subsequent boot will be fine.

I tested my OC extensively. I ran Linx for 50 pass with maximum ram, prime blend test for 5 hours, and memtest for 5 pass. The computer is definitely not stable upon first boot, but perfectly stable after i shut off and turn it back on immediately. Can someone help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:58 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm...im thinking check voltages upon first said cold boot. possibly the board gives less. does it also happen with stock speeds? if so, try another bios version,psu if you can and if it continues keep it or rma. but thats the long shot. i wouldn't mind booting the pc twice since i dont do it very often,not sure about you.

hell it reminds me of the dfi dark's 'hart attack at every boot' !
Old November 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hmm...im thinking check voltages upon first said cold boot. possibly the board gives less. does it also happen with stock speeds? if so, try another bios version,psu if you can and if it continues keep it or rma. but thats the long shot. i wouldn't mind booting the pc twice since i dont do it very often,not sure about you.

hell it reminds me of the dfi dark's 'hart attack at every boot' !
I will try checking the voltage. I just shut off the computer and going to wait 6-8 hours (to mimic the overnight situation). Unfortunately this occurs at stock speed as well. I have tested each ram separately and diligently and they don't have any errors from my system or my frd's system.
Old November 23, 2010, 11:55 AM
Banned
F@H

cool. so you swapped ram? good. takes out something off the equation. can you test your psu as well in his pc? :)
Old November 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps it is a BIOS Issue? Its not loading your OC profile properly on first boot?
Have you updated the BIOS recently?

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your help. I will test the PSU tonight. There is a new bios out for my board I think i will update it tonight and see how it goes, but i read many bad things about it so i'm hesitant to update.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:49 PM
Banned
F@H

before you do that test it at stock. and test your psu. im pretty sure its board related. worse case scenario flash goes bad and you got a brick for a little while.
Old November 23, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
before you do that test it at stock. and test your psu. im pretty sure its board related. worse case scenario flash goes bad and you got a brick for a little while.
Hi
Yea i think it is the board's problem. I updated the bios to the latest bios. It seems to fix the instability problem but i lost speedstep ability (the reason why i didnt want to upgrade the bios before).
Old November 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
Banned
F@H

ok, so if it does it with stock everything and if you tested the rest of the parts in another pc without issues, looks like another asus has hit the proverbial dust.
Old November 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Realtek adio and Nividia arent frend right now could be this Sound Drivers conflict caususing isues