Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default MSI X58M Posting issues

So I decided it'd be a great idea to get a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and a new Coolermaster Elite 370 to fit it during NCIX's last sale. Yesterday I finally had time to do the swap and of course something went wrong.....

My MSI X58M is hanging on boot. It gets to the memory check and checks the memory but that's where it stops. I can't access the bios or anything. The only thing that has changed is the new case and heatsink. All parts were working before I swapped the heatsink. I'm going to try pulling the heat sink and re-seating the CPU this morning.

Here is what I've done;

When I turn the computer on with no ram it gives me a proper 3 beep error. But with even 1 stick in the computer starts booting to just past the ram check then hangs. I still have keyboard control and am able to CTRL-ALT-DEL a restart. I have cleared the CMOS with the jumper but still no luck. There is a CPU phase LED on the board that is lit without ram but when the ram is installed the LED goes dark after 10 seconds. All settings were stock before the heat sink swap.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edit: So, new information in the fight against evil!

After posting this post I came down and powered on the motherboard again. The system had been unplugged all night. This time the system fired up and posted with beep and all. It said it had a cmos checksum error. The motherboard allows me to use a default profile but when I hit F2 to tell it to revert a password prompt came up. I've never had my BIOS passworded so now I'm super confused..

After that brief glimpse hope it's hanging again..
Rats.

Last edited by BobLoblaw; November 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: New Information
Old November 20, 2010, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Adding a new post with the continuing trials and tribulations of this stupid computer.

It's shorting in the case somehow. Took everything out and was able to get into post and everything. Carefully put everything back in viola! Complete system hang! The Elite 370 comes with these two strange standoffs that are ever so slightly longer than a normal one and because there is no indication where these longer ones are supposed to go I just used two standoffs from the previous case. Does anyone know what these slightly longer standoffs would be for?

I have always used those little cloth washers on the motherboard. Could those be causing a problem?

SO FRUSTRATING....
Old November 20, 2010, 01:42 PM
Banned
F@H

my lunch money was on a short since it was working before.

well they are longer to clear stuff out. use them. unfortunately the tray is not removable, so you cant exactly check the spacing underneath. nice case, and superb cooler. happy clocking maite
Old November 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Adding a new post with the continuing trials and tribulations of this stupid computer.

It's shorting in the case somehow. Took everything out and was able to get into post and everything. Carefully put everything back in viola! Complete system hang! The Elite 370 comes with these two strange standoffs that are ever so slightly longer than a normal one and because there is no indication where these longer ones are supposed to go I just used two standoffs from the previous case. Does anyone know what these slightly longer standoffs would be for?

I have always used those little cloth washers on the motherboard. Could those be causing a problem?

SO FRUSTRATING....
I haven't done a build with that case so I'm only going on general knowledge (hopefully somebody who's used the case will pipe in). Are there any recessed mounting screwpoints on the motherboard case (punched down)? That would be the only type of config that would automatically suggest a slightly longer screw.

As far as the insulators go... I haven't used one of those in years, and consider it to be a case ground point at this stage.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I haven't done a build with that case so I'm only going on general knowledge (hopefully somebody who's used the case will pipe in). Are there any recessed mounting screwpoints on the motherboard case (punched down)? That would be the only type of config that would automatically suggest a slightly longer screw.

As far as the insulators go... I haven't used one of those in years, and consider it to be a case ground point at this stage.
There are no recessed standoff mounts for these two longer standoffs which is why I am so confused.

None of the reviews at Newegg or NCIX mentioned having an issue with longer standoffs so I'm truly baffled as to where they go. Going for lunch to think about what I've done.

I'll remove the insulators and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Old November 20, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

by the sounds its MB flex due to the case stand off's or case/MB is warpped

how it sits on stand off's without screws tightened (have all same length screws just started....and see how clearance are to screw head...all the same ?)
Old November 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for all the help and the thoughts. As is usually the case with me it was user error.

Helpful tip! When adding standoffs for a motherboard, count the number of standoffs, then count the number of screws you tighten. Sometimes you might be missing a standoff that is hiding underneath the southbridge and is only shorting the board when you finally tighten everything down and put the video card in which just happens to be directly over said southbridge.

The More You Know!

Don't trust the case either. It told me I needed every standoff for Micro ATX. Silly motherboard!

Now to learn how to overclock!
Old November 21, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yup msi using weird placement again just makes them special he he had the same problem a few years ago.