Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2010, 09:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Win 7 transfer after laptop dies

So, my old laptop died. I had upgraded it from vista to 7 shortly before it died. Can I upgrade a different laptop with this copy of 7 now that the old laptop is dead (and in pieces ).
Old November 19, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes. Well sort of. Technically it does depend on the media you used to upgrade it to 7 from Vista. If you used an OEM disk then technically no since the idea behind the OEM disks is to tied the license to specific hardware. Now if you used any other media, upgrade disks, full retail, then you are fine.

As for what I say yes, even if it is OEM. You have paid for a license and you are only using it on one machine and that is really what counts.

Old November 19, 2010, 10:01 PM
Banned
F@H

legally speaking? i think not, someone correct me.

practically speaking? the old hdd should be compatible with the new one, and if in the event it were, w7 might perhaps install drivers for a few mins and ask you to reboot?

all in all i would buy a proper installation cd, upgrades dont do it justice. oh yeah, dont forget to tweak it. slightly zippier.