Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2010, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Unhappy i broke a wire - help

this is from the fan connector on an 8800GT. do I need to know how to solder is order to re-connect the black cable? (it's a really tiny connector btw).

rsvp

Last edited by hfxmike; November 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: cropped photo
Old November 4, 2010, 11:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would strip the black cable a bit to expose some wire, then clean up the broken side of the connection.
Small little bit of solder with the two new points touching and you should be good.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2010, 11:36 AM
Banned
F@H

+ a dab of glue to be sure.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
+ a dab of glue to be sure.
If done right you don't need this.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old November 4, 2010, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I would strip the black cable a bit to expose some wire, then clean up the broken side of the connection.
Small little bit of solder with the two new points touching and you should be good.

ST
One thing that could be a problem (?) is that the connector is so small and i'd be heating up something that is like 1mm from plastic. Can this be fixed any other way? I think I should try to find my magnifying glass.
Could I remove the broken part, strip the wire, re-insert and keep it there with electrical tape/glue?
Is the black wire for negative voltage, or ground?
Old November 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
Banned
F@H

yes. mash the wires together if youre afraid of melting, dab of glue on all sides once you know its making proper contact,shrink wrap around the whole thing just in case? :)
Old November 4, 2010, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxmike View Post
One thing that could be a problem (?) is that the connector is so small and i'd be heating up something that is like 1mm from plastic. Can this be fixed any other way? I think I should try to find my magnifying glass.
Could I remove the broken part, strip the wire, re-insert and keep it there with electrical tape/glue?
Is the black wire for negative voltage, or ground?
The Black should be negitive I believe.
What I usually do in these scenerios is have the wire inserted once its cleaned up back in there and then apply the solder to the iron to form a drop. Once that happens get the drop close to the connection quickly. Once it touches it should just form all around it.
This fast action usually prevents the Iron from getting into contact and ruining anything else.

ST

Old November 4, 2010, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yes. mash the wires together if youre afraid of melting, dab of glue on all sides once you know its making proper contact,shrink wrap around the whole thing just in case? :)
if i decide to go this route, is there a type of glue to use or NOT to use? i'm leaning this way due to my lack of soldering skills and the tiny size of the thing. the photo is a cropped, mega macro photo. The whole connector is maybe 8mm wide.
Old November 4, 2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
F@H

well, in theory you need to use glue that wont break apart when placed next to a heat source. that being said, ive used dollarama super glue on older cards with a good degree of success, save the mess left behind by my work.

im sure you can find specialty glue(read for electronics and such) at your local chinese computer shop, for a couple bucks more its worth it since you'll reuse it over the years

edit : stick a short pin or metal thingie between the broken ends, force it together, then glue it. i usually use one strand of heavier gauge wire inbetween
Old November 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe just pickup some conductive epoxy

Silver Conductive Epoxy