Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2010, 07:57 AM
Rookie

Default Laptop LCD

Hey all,

So I have an old laptop its a Fujitsu T4210 that I bought 5 or so years ago and I'm having issues with the LCD.

It works normally but every now and then (generally happens a few times per day) the LCD will just turn off and go black or go white. Laptop continues to run (have music or something going in the background still running fine) just the screen goes blank.

It's not the backlight as I can see it still shining around the edges of the LCD. There is just no image.

The only way I've been able to fix it is to turn off my laptop and turn it back on (always fixes it).

Just wondering has anyone experienced such an issue and is there anything that can be done? Hardware or software issue you think? (I have updated my graphics drivers, just integrated intel...)
Old November 4, 2010, 08:25 AM
Banned
F@H

well, the gpu is going, or its heating up. or one of the cables is going. if it's not your lifeline, open it up and check. be careful, those are quite fragile. i still have nightmare bout them lol
Old November 4, 2010, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well one way to help determine if it is the lcd or not would be to use an external monitor. Have it using both the external and built in lcd and then see if it happens. If/when it does see if just the internal LCD goes out or if both do. If both do then you are looking at either graphic drivers (but you did say you had upgraded them) or possible hardware failure. If just the LCD goes then you are looking at the LCD itself.

Now since it is 5 years old I assume it is not under warranty, I really hope it is software and I would do everything to solve it before you scrap it. Another option would be to boot to a live CD, maybe like ubuntu, and run that off of the cd for a bit, see if it happens there. If it does then you can be certain of hardware failure, if not then software, which means doing a driver clean and reinstall of drivers and if you have to a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.