Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2010, 01:15 AM
Rookie

Default DVD drive causing PC not to boot

A couple months ago when I went to turn my PC on in the morning, I got a solid BEEP from the motherboard. Tried to look up what the beep meant but it was a little bit misleading. Eventually I narrowed it down to my DVD drive and as long as I have the sata cable unplugged, it works fine. So I just haven't bothered with a drive for the past couple months.

Suddenly I kinda need my dvd drive and I figured it was a problem with the DVD drive itself so when I ordered my 6870, I also ordered a new drive and the same thing is happening. I've never heard of this problem and did a bit of searching around and found nothing. Have any of you encountered such a problem and know a fix for it? I've replaced the cable with another and ran it to different to different sata ports and I'm having the same problem. The beeping and failing takes place after the BIOS screen so I went in there and experimented with boot priority, didn't seem to make a difference. I'd really appreciate any help! I feel dumb for buying another drive without testing further but at least drives are cheap ^^

Thank you!

oops! forgot specs!
ASUS p7p55b deluxe
intel i5 750 @ 3.8 :D
4 gigs g.skill ddr3
sapphire 6870
Old November 2, 2010, 07:25 AM
Banned
F@H

weird. load bios defaults.see if that does anything. also look in bios, does it show anything for drives, except your hdd?
Old November 2, 2010, 12:42 PM
Top Prospect

Try another SATA cable.

Try plugging it into another header on your mainboard.

Check your BIOS settings, see if anything is hard set on that SATA bus. (ie: If it's manually set to HDD or OFF, change it to whatever is appropriate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexile View Post
A couple months ago when I went to turn my PC on in the morning, I got a solid BEEP from the motherboard. Tried to look up what the beep meant but it was a little bit misleading. Eventually I narrowed it down to my DVD drive and as long as I have the sata cable unplugged, it works fine. So I just haven't bothered with a drive for the past couple months.

Suddenly I kinda need my dvd drive and I figured it was a problem with the DVD drive itself so when I ordered my 6870, I also ordered a new drive and the same thing is happening. I've never heard of this problem and did a bit of searching around and found nothing. Have any of you encountered such a problem and know a fix for it? I've replaced the cable with another and ran it to different to different sata ports and I'm having the same problem. The beeping and failing takes place after the BIOS screen so I went in there and experimented with boot priority, didn't seem to make a difference. I'd really appreciate any help! I feel dumb for buying another drive without testing further but at least drives are cheap ^^

Thank you!

oops! forgot specs!
ASUS p7p55b deluxe
intel i5 750 @ 3.8 :D
4 gigs g.skill ddr3
sapphire 6870
Old November 2, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think Canker said all. Maybe you could also look for a bios update if you don't have the last one. Don't do itif you are not sure how and also read the new bios fix list. If your issue isn't in the list just don't touch it. If problem still persist, get a USB dvd drive.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 9, 2010, 09:41 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys - I almost forgot I made this topic. I've tried with another sata cable and into other ports. Didn't make a difference. Also tried resetting bios settings (quite annoying setting all my oc stuff back :( ) Still nothing. I've also noticed that if I have my phone plugged into the USB port, it does the exact same thing. Does that help at all? Thanks again for your input!
Old November 9, 2010, 10:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your power supply is probably failing. It doesn't provide enough current to start the motor in the DVD drive, or charge your phone. I had the same issue with a friend of mine's PC, and that's actually how I found this board.
Old November 10, 2010, 06:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Your power supply is probably failing. It doesn't provide enough current to start the motor in the DVD drive, or charge your phone. I had the same issue with a friend of mine's PC, and that's actually how I found this board.

Failing 3v and 5v rails seems to be really common these days with power supplies ive noticed. In the past week ive seen 3 machines ive worked on all with the same isssue - 3v line on it goes, the system will work fine until a VGA driver is turned on aand the machine BSOD and restarts. The first time was absolutly baffling.
Old November 10, 2010, 02:06 PM
Rookie

D: I have a Corsair TX750W. I figured that would be more than enough to power my stuff. Is there a way to narrow this down?
Old November 10, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Power supply tester 30 $ at a computer store or a multimeater and some nolage of how to use one.

There was a thead in here some ware that showed pin outs and volatages on each conector. You will need this to use the multy meater meathod.

What mouther board and hardware give us a full listing of the specs of everthing in the case.

EDIT: NCIX.com - Buy Apevia PST-03 LCD Power Supply Tester III with Inidcators of ATX Voltages & Alarms On LOW/OVER/NO - PST-03 In Canada.

36$

Last edited by ZZLEE; November 10, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 02:55 PM
Restricted Poster

Tried the DVD drive in a different PC? Sounds more like BIOS than PSU