Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2010, 07:26 PM
Restricted Poster

Default Inactive Desktop

Hey guys, I really hope you guys can help me out with this. I have Windows 7.

Everytime windows starts up, my desktop is inactive. I can't click anything. Icons, start button, and everything does not respond to clicks. My Windows Live Messenger that opens automatically at startup is not clickable and the title bar at the top of the program is greyed out (inactive). You know how there's always a visible effect when you mouseover the start button or the buttons on the top-right of programs? There's no effect on anything for me. My keyboard start button doesn't work.

Alt+Tab doesn't fix it. Ctrl+Alt+Del brings the menu thing up, and now things are working fine again. I click cancel to get out of the menu, and my desktop works fine.

In short, everytime I start up my computer, I have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL, and then leave the menu, for my desktop to work respond.

I have recently switched motherboards, ram, and my video card, and the problem still persists. I have re-installed Windows many times and it does not fix. The only thing that I can think of is my hard drive.

What do you think? Is it my hard drive? And how can I fix this?
Thanks for reading my problem, as I've just noticed that it's gotten pretty long.
Old November 1, 2010, 08:40 PM
Banned
F@H

once you get things going, do you have a 'i click and it takes 5 seconds for stuff to happen' effect , mated with lots of purrs and clicks?
Old November 1, 2010, 08:41 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
once you get things going, do you have a 'i click and it takes 5 seconds for stuff to happen' effect , mated with lots of purrs and clicks?
Sorry, don't really understand what you mean.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:10 PM
Banned
F@H

after you fix it with ctrl alt delete, does it work fine?
Old November 1, 2010, 09:16 PM
Restricted Poster

Yeah, it works perfectly. And then in... I don't know... 20 minutes? It'll go inactive again, and I'll have to do the whole CTRL-ALT-DEL thing again.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
Banned
F@H

disable everything in the power modes.

click the round thingie and type power. wait...click on power options, and then go ahead and disable left and right.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:32 PM
Restricted Poster

Disable what in power options? Sorry for all these questions... :\

Last edited by DRYJESUS; November 1, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old November 1, 2010, 09:40 PM
Banned
F@H

screen saver, hdds turning down,anything.

it is software, i think, and something is screwy in there.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:28 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

when started folding, i have noticed a wierd, similar issue. I have 2 mice, and when folding with gpu, sometimes uny input i made was unresponsive, but the comp worked fine. This issue would go away by pressing the middle button on any mouse (i didnt try ctlr alt delete). Now i just turn off the mouse i dont use, and i have never encountered this again.
Old November 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
Restricted Poster

Quote:
when started folding, i have noticed a wierd, similar issue. I have 2 mice, and when folding with gpu, sometimes uny input i made was unresponsive, but the comp worked fine. This issue would go away by pressing the middle button on any mouse (i didnt try ctlr alt delete). Now i just turn off the mouse i dont use, and i have never encountered this again.
Thanks, I will try this, but I'm looking for more of a permanent fix for this. I'll try what _dangtx_ mentioned earlier too. I'm actually at school right now, so I'll have time to do it when I get home which is in a few hours.

Tags
desktop , hard drive , inactive