Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2010, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

Default Starting ALL over

After installing a new motherboard, cpu and memory modules I have decided that my system is due
for a total overhaul. I think its too bloated....the system is still too slow, lots of junks that needs cleaning out. However, its scary. Before blowing everything up..any ideas guys.

Thanks.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the problem is that your using Vista

If your signature is what your specs are, it looks like a solid rig. A nice clean installation of Windows 7 should make it run perfectly IMO.

A SSD would help too if you can afford it.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Vista is ok, just do a clean install of it if it haven't been done. If this is to slow for you maybe you are looking for something that dosen't exist or you have some defective part.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 30, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dude if it's running slow check for virus/malware.
Old October 30, 2010, 07:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Vista is ok, just do a clean install of it if it haven't been done. If this is to slow for you maybe you are looking for something that dosen't exist or you have some defective part.
It was progressively getting worse, so I know it could be a lot faster or at least with less "programme not respondin" problems. I am creating a backup of the system at the moment. My plan is to do a clean install after a format of the drive. I have been thinking of Windows 7, but my conclusion is that Vista is as good as Windows 7 only without the bells and wistles that came with Windows 7. The idea of using an SSD drive is entising but how much faster compared with a drive with SATA 6G ?
Old October 30, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
It was progressively getting worse, so I know it could be a lot faster or at least with less "programme not respondin" problems. I am creating a backup of the system at the moment. My plan is to do a clean install after a format of the drive. I have been thinking of Windows 7, but my conclusion is that Vista is as good as Windows 7 only without the bells and wistles that came with Windows 7. The idea of using an SSD drive is entising but how much faster compared with a drive with SATA 6G ?
Then is a clean install haven't been done and you swaped component you have the key of the issue in 99% of the case. Also for the SSD, if you get a good one it can be quite a lot faster for thing like opening windows, opening game and reading info. But since they are small you still need a HDD. What are you mostly doing with the computer?

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 30, 2010, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Then is a clean install haven't been done and you swaped component you have the key of the issue in 99% of the case. Also for the SSD, if you get a good one it can be quite a lot faster for thing like opening windows, opening game and reading info. But since they are small you still need a HDD. What are you mostly doing with the computer?
I don't play games at all - mostly digital photography editing. Occassionally, I have videos to edit too. The files are huge though. This is why, using an SSD drive will only hold the operating system, not my working files.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
MVP

If you have one big partition, photoshop scratch files + windows pagefile + temp files can leave your drive incredibly fragmented.

I have found that dedicated scratch drives can be beneficial for photoshop, depending on the type of work you do; at minimum you should you assign your photoshop scratch files to a dedicated partition.

Of course the above can also be said for the windows pagefile; but prior to ssd I just used small partition on the system drive.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, if you won't put the file you work on on the SDD then I see no point of getting a SSD now. Since when you will work on the file which is on the drive it will go at the drive speed. Even if the software is on the SSD. Maybe wait for some good deal or more price drop and then jump in the boat ;) Hope you get all the advice you need!!! Keep us updated with the slowing thingi.

Martin_metal_88

Old October 30, 2010, 08:31 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
If you have one big partition, photoshop scratch files + windows pagefile + temp files can leave your drive incredibly fragmented.

I have found that dedicated scratch drives can be beneficial for photoshop, depending on the type of work you do; at minimum you should you assign your photoshop scratch files to a dedicated partition.

Of course the above can also be said for the windows pagefile; but prior to ssd I just used small partition on the system drive.
I have a second drive in the computer that I was going to use as a backup drive for "My Pictures". May be I should dedicate this for the pagefile and PS scratch file. I'll use an external drive for the backup. Is there a role for an SSD drive here ?