Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Starting ALL over (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/37559-starting-all-over.html)

JD October 30, 2010 08:52 PM

A small SSD would improve day-to-day operations I'd say. If you got a 60GB one it should be able to hold Windows along with Photoshop and whatever video editing software you use. But like others have said, relocate the swap/scratch files to a HDD.

And personally, I think Windows 7 runs a fair bit quicker than Vista does, even with SP2. But that's just my opinion. You kind of need Windows 7 with an SSD anyways, otherwise you lack TRIM support and your SSD will probably degrade fairly quick.

martin_metal_88 October 30, 2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 444370)
You kind of need Windows 7 with an SSD anyways, otherwise you lack TRIM support and your SSD will probably degrade fairly quick.

True, I totally have forget that.

So concider around 200$ on a good trim SSD around 60gb + 120 for a windows 7. What I would do is to try the clean install and if it's enough then skip the SSD. If you still want more speed then look for the SSD + Win 7? I think it's a fair deal.

Desiato October 30, 2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 444361)
I have a second drive in the computer that I was going to use as a backup drive for "My Pictures". May be I should dedicate this for the pagefile and PS scratch file. I'll use an external drive for the backup. Is there a role for an SSD drive here ?

For Photoshop performance, it would be best to have the pagefile and scratch on separate drives.

crazyhorsejohnny October 30, 2010 10:18 PM

Bud like i said earlier if its running slow maybe you have a virus. A buddy built a rig for his teenage son. Good rig too. A couple weeks later it was slower than a turtle. It was filled with malware/trojans.

Malam October 31, 2010 08:26 AM

Thanks a million guys. I have decided to do a clean install first with Vista, and move my page files and scratch files to a separate drive. I will wait for Christmas or Boxing Day Sales (if I'm lucky) for the price of SSD and perhaps Windows 7 to drop. I will take a second look at my situation then.

After the clean install, I will provide an update .. Cheers.

Malam November 1, 2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 444373)
True, I totally have forget that.

So concider around 200$ on a good trim SSD around 60gb + 120 for a windows 7. What I would do is to try the clean install and if it's enough then skip the SSD. If you still want more speed then look for the SSD + Win 7? I think it's a fair deal.

Just found out that Windows 7 OEM are priced cheaper. What are your experiences with OEM Operating Systems ? Does is mean I will not be allowed to reinstall or upgrade the system in a few years time?
Thanks.

martin_metal_88 November 1, 2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malam (Post 444781)
Just found out that Windows 7 OEM are priced cheaper. What are your experiences with OEM Operating Systems ? Does is mean I will not be allowed to reinstall or upgrade the system in a few years time?
Thanks.

The main difference is that a retail contain X86 + X64. A retail can also be installed multiple time on 1 computer. The OEM is supose not to work when hardware swaping and re-installing but it have work great for almost every one here so...the worst is taht you have to call MS to say yo I changed hardware need to re-install plz activate. So not a big deal.

Malam November 1, 2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 444897)
The main difference is that a retail contain X86 + X64. A retail can also be installed multiple time on 1 computer. The OEM is supose not to work when hardware swaping and re-installing but it have work great for almost every one here so...the worst is taht you have to call MS to say yo I changed hardware need to re-install plz activate. So not a big deal.

Thanks Bud. I found the OEM of Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit for $99.00 at Canada Direct and picked one up this afternoon. Wow, what a difference. Just finished the new install and a couple of drivers. Will start installing my applications tomorrow - (Unless the Leafs are playing well ..:biggrin:).

Malam November 6, 2010 04:11 PM

An Update..

After the clean Vista install, things were not that much better, and I ran into other problems. I found that Tiger Direct has Windows 7 OEM versions that were cheaper than the full ones, so I picked up the Home Premium version. With Windows 7, things a running a lot quicker and smoother. The start ups and shortdowns were faster too. I have reinstalled Lightroom and Photoshop and so far has seen a vast improvement. I have not moved the scratch folders yet ... my backup drive is part of a Raid 1 set, and don't thing I should put the windows swap files and PS scratch files there. I'll have to get a new drive later. Cheers.

JD November 6, 2010 07:30 PM

Other satisfied Windows 7 user, I'm not surprised :haha: It's amazing just how slow Vista was really, not sure how I used it for those couple years.

Good to hear that your PC is running well now