Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Default 4 long beeps and nothing starts up

Hey

I built my computer four weeks ago and it was working fine, within the past week i have had some major problems. Initially it was just blue screens of death and memory dumps. Now when i try to start up my system it keeps giving me four long beeps, over and over. If it does start up it gives 3 long beeps one short goes into the bios start up checks out everything and then says there is a bios error and tries to do a bios back up for 1008k, and goes back to the four beeps. I have no clue what is going on.

the following are my specs
MOBO: GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD phenom II x4 955 black edition
Ram: 4gigs gskill ripjaw DDr3-1333

let me know what could be the problem or if you need any more info.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Whats the rest of the system, power supply and graphic card(s)? Also what revision if the board is it as according to Gigabyte there are two different ones.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

Obviously a hardware issue.... my guess would be a bad or loose memory stick. First thing I would do is try re-seating your memory modules as well as any other cards, video etc... plugged into the mobo. Sometimes they work themselves loose... Also look in your mobo manual or on Gigabyte's website to see what the beep codes are and what component is causing the beep...
Old October 24, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

any reseating of hardware must have power drained from MB before any moving hardware, also power off by remove cord an push start button to empty power.

no need to remove cmos batt for it only keeps settings

Last edited by KaptCrunch; October 25, 2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:42 PM
Rookie

the power supply is 300w and the video is onboard radeon 4250

how do i know that all the power is drained before reseating? do i just unplug everything or do i have to wait some time before replugging?
Old October 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
Rookie

4 long beeps indicates ram problem, which makes sense in the case of the physical memory dumps
Old October 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you sure that it is 4 long beeps? becasue 1 long beep and three shorter beeps is a vid card issue ( I know this because I have been through it a few times hehe) and if it is just a bunch of long nonstop beeps I think it is Memory problems, One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem ,One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem ,Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating.
but I think that every Board is different when it comes to beep codes
Old October 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatchem View Post
the power supply is 300w and the video is onboard radeon 4250

how do i know that all the power is drained before reseating? do i just unplug everything or do i have to wait some time before replugging?
Unplug the power cord from the back of the power supply... or flip the switch on the psu. Wait about 5-10 secs and make sure there are no lights still on (on the mobo) if your board has led's.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
are you sure that it is 4 long beeps? becasue 1 long beep and three shorter beeps is a vid card issue ( I know this because I have been through it a few times hehe) and if it is just a bunch of long nonstop beeps I think it is Memory problems, One Long Beep, One Short Beep Motherboard Problem ,One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps Video Problem ,Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps CPU Overheating.
but I think that every Board is different when it comes to beep codes
yup i am sure it is 4 long beeps... each beep is about the same length of time and the forth beep stops abruptly at the end and pauses for a bit longer and then starts with the for beeps
Old October 24, 2010, 09:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatchem View Post
yup i am sure it is 4 long beeps... each beep is about the same length of time and the forth beep stops abruptly at the end and pauses for a bit longer and then starts with the for beeps
Beep codes vary from board to board and manufacturer to manufacturer... I wouldn't worry about how many or frequency... the goal is to get them to stop. I don't even bother looking them up anymore as I can usually figure out what's wrong faster.... If re-seating doesn't work, remove all the sticks...and re-install them one at at time to see which stick is causing the beeps... Also try different slots if you keep getting the same beeps... sometimes a slot can go bad. Of course make sure the board is completely powered off between each trial ( these is a standby voltage even though the machine is off).