Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2010, 10:58 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default Audigy 2 NX Keeps disconnecting

I've got an Audigy 2 NX that keeps disconnecting for some reason. It will be playing sound normally and suddenly I'll get the device discconected message. It will work for days or hours and I'm forced to do a reboot when it happens, or switch back over to the onboard. The red mute light and the blue power light are on.

System:
Atom 230 on an Intel DG945GCLF (HT enabled)
2 GB
Win XP Pro SP3
HD2400Pro (PCI - no HD audio)
Audigy 2 NX Software and firmware up to date
Audigy is plugged directly into the mainboard USB ports

I've tried a another USB cable and uninstalling the UAA drivers prior to installing the Creative drivers (I had a problem with them when I installed the Realtek drivers for the onboard so I figured it was worth a shot). There's no errors being generated in the system logs to point me towards anything. I don't have anohter system to test it on as my Craptop is only USB 1.0 and my main rig only has Vista/Win7 and I don't even think there's drivers for the newer OS'es. The BIOS settinsg for the USB seem to be correct. I'm trying the last thing I can think of right now, disabling the onboard sound via BIOS.
Old October 20, 2010, 04:26 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Bah, ancient tech that nobody really used.
Old October 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could honestly just be the USB header itself or a split in one of the wires etc. Don't rule out something mechanical versus software/driver.

A lot of the time too it could be a firmware issue with the card or even an IRQ issue in your system - which causes your system to juggle the device with another. I know IRQ problems are not as common as they used to be but they can happen, especially with a legacy device.

Try and connect it in all sorts of other USB ports including front panel etc.

But this sounds like an issue between USB 1.0 and 2.0 stuff.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see there being a problem on the mobo side connection wise, it's probably the first time I've even used either of these 2 ports. My wireless mouse/KB combo could be the culprit, I've had NUMEROUS issues with Logitech drivers screwing up things they had nothing to do with in the past, but then again it's a MS combo. Problem is it works for hours or day's so troubleshooting is a bitch. I haven't had connection isssues with either the mouse/kb or UPS that use the USB ports.
Old October 24, 2010, 12:19 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

POST is extremely slow with it connected in this state, time to open it up.
Old October 24, 2010, 12:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I think hasn't been mentioned is the settings for "usb legacy devices"..... If you're gonna open it up, make sure you post a pic or two..... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 24, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

other is the link or driver intel
Old October 25, 2010, 04:52 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I gave it the once over under the microscope, no cold or broken solder connections. It looks like it has a switcher and an couple of linear power supplies on the board so the fact that I don't have the right adapter shouldn't be a problem.

SGS Thompson MC33078 Op Amp's if anybodies curious.

I'm pretty sure the legacy USB support was enabled in the BIOS. I'll do a chipset update though, chances are I have what came on the disk 2 years ago installed.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Still doing it, this time it came back on it's own though. I have now eased off on the hardware sound acceleration and found out which hub the card is on and told Windoze specifically not to stick the port in a low power mode. We'll see what that does.
Old October 31, 2010, 05:01 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

And the saga continues. I've updated the chipset drivers as well as the drivers for the various other USB devices (KB and M combo and a UPS). I may have caught something thhis morning though. I plugged my vacuum into the same plug as the A2 and the second I switched on the vacuum, the A2 cut out. I think my fridge may also be on the same circuit as it's on the other side of that wall. So I've plugged the A2 into the UPS and I'll see how that works out.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; October 31, 2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: I need new glasses or a bigger TV