Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
Rookie

Default Recent build occasional windows crash/restart.

Hey guys,

I just recently finished my i5 build and have been very pleased with the performance.

On the odd occasion however, windows will crash or the computer will blue screen do to an unknown cause and come back with the message that windows has recovered from an unknown error.

I've caught it once in the act, and noticed that all 4 cores quickly jump to 99% followed by a restart. This seems particularly odd. I originally had difficulty getting my video card drivers installed but they seem to be working fine now. I'm also running Microsoft Security Essentials.

Any tips or advice would be helpful. I'm hoping this is simply a Windows issue which might require a re-install, hopefully not a hardware issue.

Cheers!
Old October 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Peanutmc,
The error code on the blue screen can sometimes help narrow down the cause. If you can grab that next time it could help narrow down the cause. Also, if you can, go to your event viewer and have a look under Custom views administrative events (Win 7) it can give some insight as well.
Please post your system specs and operating system to help figure the problem out.
Old October 20, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Writing down error codes is sooo 1990s. :)~

Download and run WhoCrashed. Assuming you have crashdumps enabled (and you SHOULD). It will analyze it and give you the error code and MAYBE even tell you what caused it.

Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
Rookie

I did a re-install... everything seems to be working great now.

Lesson learned. When the computer is applying Windows updates and informs you not to turn off the computer, don't inadvertantly trip the power bar!!!
Old October 20, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutmc View Post

Lesson learned. When the computer is applying Windows updates and informs you not to turn off the computer, don't inadvertantly trip the power bar!!!
Old October 20, 2010, 09:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutmc View Post

ahh.. so now the truth comes out
Old October 21, 2010, 06:17 AM
Rookie

Alright, I'm hoping my build shows up here at the bottom now that I've finally filled out my information.

Installed Win 7 on both hard drives, still having the same issue.

The computer is completely stable in BIOS...

CPU temp is stable @ 25 C
Computer temp is stable @ 31 C

I have minimal time to check the eventvwr as within 2-5 minutes the all cores have maxed out on the CPU. All drivers have been updated to their newest version.

I should also note that I'm using the coolermaster $30 joby as the heatsink, which seems to be working fine. Used thermal paste and all that good stuff.

Its crucial that I determine if it is in fact a hardware issue (which it seems to be) as I've now had the parts for nearly a month (I was away at sea for 2 weeks and wasn't using it).
Old October 21, 2010, 06:21 AM
Rookie

Motherboard
Gigabyte H55-USB3.0
Processor
Intel i5 760
Memory
4 GB g Skill
Video Card(s)
XFX Radeon 5770 1GB
Hard Drive(s)
Kingston SSD 64gb
WD 1 TB 7200
Optical Drive(s)
N/A
Case
Antec 300
Power Supply
650w... I don't remember... its good though
Sound Card
N/A
Monitor
LG 22"
Operating System
Win 7 Home 64x
Old October 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Glad its all working for you now, enjoy.