Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11, 2010, 08:57 PM
Rookie

Default Comp issues.

Well I am at a total loss and after 11 hours of trouble shooting, I decided to log in here and ask for help.

Comp has been working great for a while but I turned my it on at around noon today and it wouldn't post. Kind of a "whirling" sound coming from DVD burner and my vid card fan sounded like it was spinning at 100%. All case fans were running and the cpu heatsink fan was running as well....it all seemed normal aside from the vid card fan at max speed. I reset and the same thing happened. I popped the side and unplugged the dvd drive to stop the "whirling" sound, reset it again (wishful thinking) and started it back up and the vid card fan was sounding like it was running at 100%.

I then swapped ram to see if it was the issue. It was the same. Then I swapped vid cards putting in an older Ati 1950pro and had the same results. I then unplugged all the power plugs from the motherboard for a few minutes and plugged them back in....same thing. I don't have a spare power supply so I couldn't swap that in to eliminate it.

I then decided to try another MB and cpu I had for a second build I was thinking on doing a year or so ago. I laid the board out on top of the MB box in from on my comp so I could connect the power supply leads to it. Installed a ram and vid card from my comp, then plugged in monitor. I then turned it on to see if it would at least post. No dice. Fans are spinning but not posting. I then tried different ram and also the other vid card. same deal.

I believe that by using another MB and cpu in my mock up and eliminating the ram and vid card it would leave the power supply as the only constant and perhaps my issue. But I am not sure.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts and suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Old October 11, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

yeah, fans and crap whirling at top speed usually means it's stuck trying to past the POST. and yeah if you've swapped everything out (which it looks like you did) that would indeed leaves your PSU as the most likely culprit. Try to get access to another PSU and plug it in, that's really all I can suggest at this point.
Old October 11, 2010, 11:42 PM
Banned
F@H

yes, while it can pretty well be the psu, unless you know everything else else works 100%, you cant put the mobo on the safe side.

you wouldn't happen to have a multimeter would you?

old article, but still holds a candle to basic stuff

another one

if it is the psu, im guessing the 12v rail somehow has some power(fans and whatnot going) but perhaps not enough? i've seen a couple units with shot/screwed up 5 and or 3 volt rails behaving like that.

edit : do post entire specs and what not pretty plz
Old October 12, 2010, 06:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My bet is on PSU. I've seen it way too often. What brand did you have and where are you shopping in HRM? Greenlyph or Mysterybyte?

Old October 12, 2010, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I recently had issues where my system wouldn't post and it did simular things as yours is.

My issues was a couple of dead hard drives that caused it to not post.

When you have hooked up the other mobo and cpu/ram/video card did you hook up the drives as well?

Also double check the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors, my 24 pin after replacing my hard drives wasn't quite all the way in so the cpu, fan and PCIE was not getting any power so I thought my whole system was fubard but it turned out for the best after I securely plugged in the 24 pin connector.

Oh and much thanks to _dangtx_ who helped me figure it all out.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

LarkStarr: I will try to get another ps to try. I really hope that is my issue.

_dangtx_: I do have a multimeter but to be honest I wasn't comfortable enough to try to use it to check the ps. My system is older and is all I can afford at the moment so no /giggling....well you can giggle a little. Mb is a DFI Lanparty 939 Ultra-d, Cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800, ram is 2mb DDR (4 x 512mb), video card is evga 8800gts 640mb and power supply is an OCZ GameXstream 600w.

misterd: PS is a OCZ GameXstream 600w. I normally shop at Mysterbyte but have ordered from Ncix.

Zodgrod: I didn't plug in the harddrives when I tried the 2nd mb and cpu. I was just trying to see if it would post at all.

I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that it should post with just cpu, ram and vid card so I didn't bother hooking up Hdd's. I think I did all my testing correctly. I spoke to the tech shop at Mysterybyte today and asked me to bring in the ps and they would test it. So that is my next course of action. If it tests good then I don't know what to do. :o) Thanks again guys.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

LarkStarr: I will try to get another ps to try. I really hope that is my issue.

_dangtx_: I do have a multimeter but to be honest I wasn't comfortable enough to try to use it to check the ps. My system is older and is all I can afford at the moment so no /giggling....well you can giggle a little. Mb is a DFI Lanparty 939 Ultra-d, Cpu is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800, ram is 2mb DDR (4 x 512mb), video card is evga 8800gts 640mb and power supply is an OCZ GameXstream 600w.

misterd: PS is a OCZ GameXstream 600w. I normally shop at Mysterbyte but have ordered from Ncix.

Zodgrod: I didn't plug in the harddrives when I tried the 2nd mb and cpu. I was just trying to see if it would post at all.

I believe (please correct me if I am wrong) that it should post with just cpu, ram and vid card so I didn't bother hooking up Hdd's. I think I did all my testing correctly. I spoke to the tech shop at Mysterybyte today and asked me to bring in the ps and they would test it. So that is my next course of action. If it tests good then I don't know what to do. :o) Thanks again guys.

Yeah it should post with those and not the drives no problem. I am totally suspecting the power supply.

My buddy had me build him a system with that power supply and the 12 rails were defective.
I hooked everything up and it would sort of turn on then die. I checked all connections and tried it again.
Still nothing, so the motherboard had onboard video and I decide to try it after unhooking the pcie cable to the video card and the damned thing posts.
Old October 21, 2010, 03:25 PM
Rookie

Sorry for the lack of updates. I had some Family issues to deal with. The issue turned out to be the power supply. I had it tested at the shop and it failed on many levels so I just tossed it. Thanks for all the help guys. It was most appreciated.
Old October 21, 2010, 04:00 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good :)

what did you replace it with?
Old October 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Replaced it with a ThermaltakeTR2 RX650w. It was the best one they had in stock in my budget.