Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2010, 01:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default win7 themes

it seems no matter what win7 theme i instal my taskbar always stays the same. why isn't my taskbar changing with the themes like it should?
Old October 10, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you referring to regular "themes" or colour schemes as I call them that come with windows or the themes you download from the internet?

All the themes from Win 7 themes websites require you to modify your explorerframe.dll file so they will change your taskbar. You have to open cmd prompt in admin mode and force control over the .dll and replace it with an edited one. You also need to patch other Win 7 files with Uxtheme: UXTheme Multi-Patchers - Neowin Forums

I don't recommend this at all. It's probably not a major issue and if you keep a back up of it, it's fine. But anytime you update Windows or if MS changes something, the explorerframe.dll file needs to be changed, which means your Win 7 install won't update and when you reboot you'll get an error and have to boot to command prompt and manually replace the edited .dll with a back up Win 7 one. Then go online and find an updated .dll for your specific theme and do the process all over again. Once this happens three or four times in a week - you'll give up on illegitimate windows 7 themes.

It's a god damn pain in the ass but if you -really- want to get a theme working I can probably help you.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yea kinda seems like a bit of a pain just so i can make my taskbar look diff lol prolly just stick with what i got lol. thanx
Old October 10, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah no problem.

It's a giant pain in the ass and I even made it sound easy :P
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.