Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2010, 07:29 PM
Rookie

Default Wireless Problems - Rdm Disconnects Because of Hidden Network

So I'm running into some problems with my wireless internet. It will work fine but every once in a while it will stop working and I will have trouble reconnecting.

Here are some of the symptoms I'm experiencing:

- The internet seems to disconnect more often if I'm watching online videos or downloading something.
- After being disconnected on my windows 7 64bit machine the wireless troublshooting says "Can't connect to hidden network" (even though my network is not hidden)
- On my vista PC the internet stays connected but speed drops to 1mbps. so slow no pages will load.
- On my windows 7 PC when I'm connected to the internet the activity is very high. It will get up to 100,000,000 bytes in an hour of being connected. This does not happen on the Vista PC.
- The problem seems to magically repair itself. I will reboot my computer, restart my router + modem but this usually does not work. Right now if the internet stops working I'll just come back in 20-30mins and It's usually working again.

I have tested a wired connection and everything works perfectly both when the wired connection goes through the router or directly from the modem.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Thanks

Last edited by NeilGames; October 1, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 1, 2010, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

vista PC = wireless?

router and modem make and model? (betting Dlink, and because I have a recent hate, Asus >.>)- make sure the firmware is fully updated.

By "internet" do you mean the connection to the internet(modem) from the router, from the modem itself, or the connection to the router from the computers?

does the internet disconnect when you watch HD videos/downloading from wired connection?
Old October 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
vista PC = wireless?
Yes

Quote:
router and modem make and model? (betting Dlink, and because I have a recent hate, Asus >.>)- make sure the firmware is fully updated.
Router: D-Link WBR-2310 RANGEBOOSTER G ROUTER (D-Link RangeBooster G Router)

Note: I checked for updates and my drivers are up to date.

Modem: Not Sure. Videotron provides my internet and they gave me the modem when they came to my house to set up the internet & cable TV. I'm not at home right now, but when I get home I'll check and update my post.

Wireless Adapter (windows 7 PC): TP-Link TL-WN851N (TL-WN851N)
Wireless Adapter (Vista PC): Not sure. Came built in & I'm not home to check.

Quote:
By "internet" do you mean the connection to the internet(modem) from the router, from the modem itself, or the connection to the router from the computers?
I'm not 100% clear on what you are referring to in this question but I think it's the connection from the computers to the router. When the wireless internet goes down my computer can not connect to my home network.

Quote:
does the internet disconnect when you watch HD videos/downloading from wired connection?
Nope. Wired connection works amazing. I even bought a 50foot cable as a temporary solution for this patchy wifi goes down.

Last edited by NeilGames; October 1, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You probably don't want to hear this, but ditch wireless. It's slow, flakey and insecure.

Not to mention I've never heard anything good about Dlink anything.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGames View Post
So I'm running into some problems with my wireless internet. It will work fine but every once in a while it will stop working and I will have trouble reconnecting.
Is the WLAN secured with WAP or better?

Run InSSIDer, check signal strength and if there are other nearby APs, you may have a nearby WLAN AP setup to not broadcast SSID as a "security" measure. Change channel if that's the case and the APs are using the same channel.

inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek

Quote:
On my windows 7 PC when I'm connected to the internet the activity is very high. It will get up to 100,000,000 bytes in an hour of being connected.
Is it actually doing anything such as acting as a server? I'd try and figure out what's using the bandwidth. From a command console (search > cmd.exe) enter "netstat -ano" at the prompt (without the quotes) and you will see all the established connections and the process ID that's using them.