Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2010, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Default Corruption Issues/Crashes

Hi there I just got myself a new comp about a month ago and so far its been working pretty well, except that ALOT of games and various other things fail to install, plus other problems. So far games installed from hard disks seem to install fine, but anything I download, eg SC2 through the Blizzard download or this one really old game I downloaded, every time I try to install them they say something along the lines that the data is corrupt. In SC2 this happens maybe once when I install and second attempt at install it works, but when I try to do the updates, it fails every time, so in short, I can't play. Stuff downloaded in multiple parts in archives are also quite prone to corruption even using various un-archiving programs like WinRaR and 7Zip. At first I thought I had a virus so I wiped my drive and lost alot of stuff, but now the problem still occurs.

Problem # 2 is sometimes I will be on the internet (using internet explorer, newest version w/e it is 8 or something) or in Microsoft Word, and the program will crash and windows will say a problem has occured, (in internet explorer just that tab closes), and the tab closes (then re-opens because the internet explorer re-opens lost tabs).

Problem # 3 Sometimes, especially while heavily multitasking (music, several tabs, MSN and watching hi res vids at the same time) or playing newer games eg Fallout 3, Crysis etc my comp will crash to a blue screen and there is alot of text, but more or less says "Not enough physical memory, computer will restart etc. "Beginning physical memory dump"

I believe this issue is a hardware issue because it continues even after a hard drive wipe. My specs:

i5 750
GTX 460 EVGA SC EE
4 GB DDR3 1600 G.SKill
640 GB Caviar Black HDD
HAF 922 case
p7p55d
Legitimate Windows 7 Pro
650 W Corsair PSU (not sure of model anymore lol but i dont think it matters in this case)

I think its either an issue with the ethernet port not downloading correctly, an issue with the hard drive or an issue with the RAM, but tbh I have no clue really.

Anyways I'd just finally like to be able to put my rig to good use and play some games .

Thanks for anyone who can help me out :D
Old October 1, 2010, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had similar issues with my server, things getting corrupted whether downloaded or copied over from another PC. I don't know what was causing it, but I re-formatted and got a new motherboard. So far so good. Granted that's not really the best solution and I'm not 100% positive it won't occur again....

I'd start with the RAM though. Have you changed any settings in the BIOS or is it all set to defaults? It's feasible that your RAM needs more juice than the default options provide, so adjusting the settings to the manufacturer specifications may help. Don't know the exact model of RAM you have though...

Also, how about a BIOS update? No harm in trying at least.
Old October 1, 2010, 07:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RAM is always the first thing to check. Download and burn memtest86+ and then you'll know for sure. 20 to 40 minutes with memtest while you do something else is always a good place to start.
Old October 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

bios Version 1807 is the current for asus p7p55d, i see lots of memory issues and cpu fixes for this model
Old October 2, 2010, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do what perineum said to rule out memory issues even though i suspect you are having them and got some bad ram in your system
Old October 2, 2010, 08:55 AM
Rookie

Yea thanks for the help I'll try that memtest out and if that doesn't show anything I'll try the new BIOS update.

My full specs from my Buying a new comp thread

$900-$1000

Little bit of clarification though, for the memtest I just burn it to a disk and run it in windows? or boot from the disc when comp is starting up?
Old October 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You boot from the disc
Old October 2, 2010, 01:27 PM
Rookie

Alright I'm getting a little confused with how this disc is supposed to be working... I tried downloading the .iso of memtest from the website and burned it to a disc, but when I set my mobo to boot from disc, nothing happened, so it didn't work. There are a few different versions to download on the site so it would be great if someone could tell me which to download and which file(s) to burn on to a disc so I don't have to burn anymore discs. Thanks
Old October 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure your BIOS is set to let the DVDROM drive boot first.... alternatively, just tap F8 repeatedly as soon as the computer turns on and that usually gives you a preboot menu that lets you select the drive you want to boot from.

However, it sounds like you did the right thing with grabbing the .iso, etc.
Old October 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile, I've been busy and have only really had to to visit this again recently. So I tried downloading the bootable Memtest 4.10 iso from the memtest86 website and I burned it to a disc, went into BIOS and disabled my hard drive temporarily so my computer would ONLY boot from a disc. Well, the disc didn't work, it refuses to boot from the disc and I've still got my corruption issues. At this point I don't know what to do. Any help would defintely be appreciated :D