Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Default Random Blue Screens & System Restores on Startup

I just purchased a new computer and most of the time it runs great but occasionally I am running into 2 problems.

Problem 1. I have been blue screened 3 or 4 times since getting the computer 3 weeks ago. The last time it happened I was loading up a game, but I can't remember if this is when it happened the other times. I'll start taking notes each time it occurs.

Problem 2. Countless times after installing a new program I get "system restore" the next time I start up my computer. For example I installed and used OpenOffice but the next day when I turned my computer back on I get send into system restore on startup.

The only things I have done to the computer was add a wireless adapter & install some basic programs (iTunes, AVG, Spybot, ext..)

Any trouble shooting suggestions would be great! Thanks.
Old September 30, 2010, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Your windows is crapped...Need to be reinstall probably because of some corrupted file after you installed something. Back up all your data and get a new windows in.

This can be due to some driver issue with your wireless card ( if it's a crap ) or due to installation of to many crappy anti virus like if you have 50 antivirus + 40 anti spy. Also, almost 100% of the optimisation program ( supose to clear error and blablabla ) make computer ran into issue. Next time, also ditch AVG ( it suck ) and get something more solid like Microsoft security essential or Avira.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

first off, AVG rocks your socks.

second, yeah reinstall windows. Probably your best AND easiest bet.
Old September 30, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
first off, AVG rocks your socks.

second, yeah reinstall windows. Probably your best AND easiest bet.
Yeah AVG rock when it was deleting windows file last year and when it actualyl have a less powerfull core with a way smaller virus database compare to both Microsoft security essential. It may be decent, but compared to the competition ( Avast , Avira, Microsoft Security Essential ) it's nothing but a outdate product that was the best when there was only few AV software on the market.

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 30, 2010, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

AVG has picked up everything I've thrown at it intentionally, I haven't had any (obnoxious) false positives, it's quiet and remains in the background. In short, I've had no problems. That being said I haven't tried Avast or Avira, so I really shouldn't be commenting to be honest. I think we need an updated antivirus poll thread though, the last one started in Feb 09.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

Start by checking the event logs (computer > right click > manage > event viewer) for errors. Then check that all your hardware drivers are up to date with the latest and greatest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilGames View Post
The only things I have done to the computer was add a wireless adapter & install some basic programs (iTunes, AVG, Spybot, ext..)
They are mostly harmless but nowadays you don't really need things like Spybot and Adaware anymore.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
AVG has picked up everything I've thrown at it intentionally, I haven't had any (obnoxious) false positives, it's quiet and remains in the background. In short, I've had no problems. That being said I haven't tried Avast or Avira, so I really shouldn't be commenting to be honest. I think we need an updated antivirus poll thread though, the last one started in Feb 09.

Lark, I have work for over 3 years as a tech for consumer and is there is something I can tell you is that most of the PC that come in with virus are using AVG and Avast, which fail to detect or delete the infection. As long as you don't have hard virus it's ok but the second you catch something a little serious...you're screw. Most of the time ran a nod 32 or other good anti virus will do the trick where AVG failed.

Any news from OP about the issue??

Martin_metal_88

Old October 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've worked on and off with computers for a good number of years, honestly I've had the least trouble with AVG. Still! I'm open to trying out new things. you say AVG and Avast are balls, so do you recommend Avira as a free solution?
Old October 4, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've worked on and off with computers for a good number of years, honestly I've had the least trouble with AVG. Still! I'm open to trying out new things. you say AVG and Avast are balls, so do you recommend Avira as a free solution?
I don't say they are balls, Just that they are not as good as they where back in the time. Their Virus database is not big enough and the virus detection core isn't powerfull like Avira and Windows security essential. Just look at Win32, pretty common virus, if not the most common these day. AVG can't detect it. MSE can detect, block, but not delete. Avira ( depending of the virus version ) can detecte and delete it. Malwarebytes can detect and delete even more of this virus. If getting a free anti virus, why not getting the most powerfull one since they are all pretty light and easy to use.

Martin_metal_88

Old October 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

alright, I'll try it out :D

also. /end_threadjack/