Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2010, 09:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Your windows is crapped...Need to be reinstall probably because of some corrupted file after you installed something. Back up all your data and get a new windows in.

This can be due to some driver issue with your wireless card ( if it's a crap ) or due to installation of to many crappy anti virus like if you have 50 antivirus + 40 anti spy. Also, almost 100% of the optimisation program ( supose to clear error and blablabla ) make computer ran into issue. Next time, also ditch AVG ( it suck ) and get something more solid like Microsoft security essential or Avira.
Thanks for the tips! As you suggested I i reinstalled windows. I just put the installation CD in and did a clean install.

Now, after I did this my computer booted up fine and after making a connection to my home network windows told me I needed a few updates. After doing these updates & rebooting I got "system restore screen".

A few things that might be of interest:
a) In the updates there was something for my GeForce 460x
b) I have a wireless adapter on the computer that I installed myself (didnt come with the machine).
c) My computer sounds unusually load. Makes constant noise that can be herd from 30 feet away. Makes noise even when computer is not doing anything.
d) out of the 4 updates the only one that failed was a windows security update "KB978601". The update was pending restart & then showed as failed after system restore.

Any suggestions on what I can try next? Thanks!

Last edited by NeilGames; October 14, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old October 14, 2010, 09:35 PM
Banned
F@H

allright.

havent read above but.

memtest for a couple hours. no problem there then ran a long test on your drive, change sata cables, take out the wireless adapter.

load prime95 and check the temps, perhaps mobo temps go up considerably.

swap psu, or check voltages with a multimiter.

once again, could you post your full specs?

and assemble everything on your table, just in case. id do this after the wifi removal, actually.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
Rookie

Since I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to hardware I phoned tech support and they helped me out.

We took out 2 of my 4 memory cards and my wireless adapter but the problem was still there. Then he found out I reinstalled windows wrong (I did it from the CD inside windows) & that I didn't install the right drivers from my asus motherbord CD. SO we reinstalled the proper way, I added all the correct drives, and I put the memory back in.

Everything was fine BUT now when I click the start button I see a little thing in the start menu that says windows is detecting hardware problem and wants to go into memory diagnosis.

I did the memory diagnosis and it did not find any problems but the Icon to go into memory dignosts still shows up in the start menu every time I turn on my pc. Furthermore i still get asked to go into system restore when I start my PC

The memory diagnosis message was there before I put the 2 pieces of memory back (I did that after I installed the drivers). But it was no there on my prevision instillation of windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post

once again, could you post your full specs?
They can be found here: Newegg.ca - iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 959i Intel Core i5 760(2.80GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Last edited by NeilGames; October 17, 2010 at 09:03 AM.