Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2010, 05:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Partition Help

Hello all,

Hoping there is an easy possible free fix to my problem.

I just revieved a new laptop recently for free but i have run into a rather large problem. The computer was partitioned into 3 partitions with the smallest one being where the OS resides. Now the problem has poped up where the drive is just too small to do any windows updates. I do not have OS disks, or a recovery function that i know of. I would be looking to just combine all the partitions into one or atleast be able to give the partiotion with the OS more space.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-Niv
Old September 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
Banned
F@H

hey dude , welcome aboard.

first of all, back up important data to dvd and or an external disk. secondly, grab a copy of ubuntu in case you(will for sure) mess it up. and then, you could use something like partition magic
Old September 16, 2010, 06:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say give this a shot: GParted -- Welcome

Can't beat free software Though like said above, BACKUP anything important. It's likely you'll loose everything and just end up having to start over.
Old September 17, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also defrag before moving the partition. Sometime software can't move them because there is a file that is doing nothing somewhere on the partition. Defrag usually do the trick for these loner and then partition magic or any good software work like a charm:)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'd say give this a shot: GParted -- Welcome

Can't beat free software Though like said above, BACKUP anything important. It's likely you'll loose everything and just end up having to start over.
+1.

GParted or Parted Magic are both great free pieces of software. Highly recommend - I use them all the time.

Old September 17, 2010, 11:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I was looking for Free Software I could use, and had found Partition Magic on my own, But the Function of Merging was restricted to the Paid "full" version. I would have given GParted a try, as it looks like it would do the trick, but what has now happened is while I was out today the computer was left to idle, and Windows decided to Attempt to install some updates, and when i got home 2 hours ago it was on the either the Restart or shutdown portion of the update installation (I legitimately can't tell) and the screen says:

Installing update 1 of 3
Do not turn off or unplug your computer

It has been on that screen for almost two hours now.

I was planning on leaving it to at least the morning, but really, I've never heard of a windows update taking this long. How devastating would it be to the computer if I were to turn it off in the middle of one of these updates. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks

-Niv.
Old September 17, 2010, 11:45 PM
Banned
F@H

ctrl alt delete? could be nothing or bad, it depends. if you have restore working as it should it should be fine
Old September 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
MVP

Default consider EASEUS Partition Master

FREE Partition Manager feature - Hard disk partition management for Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit): resize/move hard disk partition, convert, split and merge partitions, etc.

As Partition Magic alternative, EASEUS Partition Master freeware is an ALL-IN-ONE partition solution and the most convenient hard disk partition manager toolkit including Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 (32 bit and 64 bit). It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Partition Recovery and much more. You can free enjoy EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition like the commercial Partition Magic software.

- current version is 6.1.1
Old September 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for all the help guys. G-parted did the trick.

-Niv
Old September 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hold on ... before you do anything I think that you need to tell us which OS you are Using, if it is Windows 7 and maybe even vista you will be able to change the partition size without messing around with other software