Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2010, 02:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New build wont boot to windows

ok so Ive bought a new MB, CPU, and Memory, and have got it all hooked up, it runs the bios screen and everything fine, but when it comes to starting windows, it gives me this screen

Now I have previously bought windows 7 on my last pc, and it should still be on my hdd's but Im wondering if I will need my windows 7 cd in order to re-install it on the machine.
Old September 13, 2010, 02:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well You didn't really need to start a new topic but that's fine.

You can't just plug in your old hdd and boot like that. There used to be a way in xp but you had o delete some file. I don't know if it works with win7. Anyways It is highly recommended to do a fresh install of windows.

Last edited by PLg; September 13, 2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sorry about that, Ill know for next time not to make a new thread

So, will I need to just use my same disk or will I be required to buy a whole new copy?
Also, does that mean that all the programs on my hdd will need to be reinstalled, ie. Word, Games, etc.?
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~
Old September 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You need to go into the BIOS and configure your hard drive as the primary boot device. There should be instructions in the motherboard manual if you can't figure out how to do it.
Old September 13, 2010, 03:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

ok, so I did some fidling around and got it to start up, but now it gives me the option to run either windows 7 or windows vista....which I thought I had whiped from the hdd
is there any way to move my entire windows 7 program to another hdd and wipe my old hdd clean....a fresh start if you like. All my photos are on my external hdd so Im not worried about losing anything

either that or how I get rid of vista for good
~System~—Asus M4A87TD—AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 BE—Patriot Extreme 5 Performance Sector 5 G Series DDR3 4GB—eVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB—500GB Seagate, 1TB Seagate—Corsair 850 Watt—Thermaltake Armour—Windows 7~
Old September 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G In Canada.

This will speed up your computer and use a fresh install of windows or Arconis imageing software to image over the OS. There is a problem with imaging and partition alighnments. Make sure to Select ATCI in BIOS to get TRIM support fore SSD. EDit : ATCI in BIOS before inserting windows disk.

Last edited by ZZLEE; September 13, 2010 at 05:56 PM.