Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default CPU Locked at Lowest Multi by C&Q?

Has anyone had this issue, where the CPU is locked at its LOWEST multiplier regardless of load or BIOS settings? I tried a bunch of methods to resolve this, but I haven't gotten my CPU multiplier to budge from 6.5x.
I don't know when this issue started (as I haven't poked at my computer with anything that looks at clock speed for a while), but now I found that my CPU is stuck at the Cool&Quiet setting of 200x6.5 @ 1.05V. My OS and BIOS will report whatever the maximum speed of the CPU is, but any tool that measures the clock speed will report a 6.5 multiplier and the resultant clock speed. I can increase my CPU clock by increasing my bus speed, but as you can imagine, I doubt I'll get very far at 1.05V VID...

I have tried the following to resolve the issue with no success:
  • Put load on CPU - in the screenshot linked below I am loading my CPU with F@H GPU and 3 BOINC tasks. I also tried OCCT Linpack, and multiplier does not change.
  • Set power settings to "High performance"
  • CMOS reset (verified that C&Q was OFF after the CMOS reset, yet I still see the low multi)
  • Downgrade BIOS from version 1904 back to what I had when I first started OC'ing this rig
  • CMOS reset again after downgrading BIOS
  • Set unstable high multiplier overclock (e.g. 200x16 at default VID) and run CPU stress test off a UBCD. If the overclock was actually being applied, I should've heard my motherboard VRM whine for a few seconds, followed by a reset. I witnessed none of the two effects.
  • Load Linux Live CD and measure CPU clocks with /proc/cpuinfo while running prime95 (note that any further tests I try are with the Linux live CD, just in case my Windows 7 is borked)
  • Remove motherboard from case
  • Remove expansion cards (including GPU)
  • Re-seat CPU
  • Remove 2 RAM sticks
  • Swap power supply
The affected rig is the one in "My System Specs", running the now "underclocked" Phenom 9950 BE on Windows 7 64-bit on a ASUS M3A78-T motherboard, BIOS version 602, downgraded from 1904.
Screenshot link: speedlock | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Does anyone know what is going on here, and why C&Q is refusing to let my CPU run any multi other than 6.5x? One thing I have not tried yet is a Windows reinstall, but I'd expect the last UBCD test I listed would've failed quickly if it was some strange drivers issue.

To show there's quite an impact on speed, my computer's SuperPI MOD 1M time is 58.694s...

Last edited by frontier204; September 12, 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: update for newcomers to thread
Old September 12, 2010, 11:34 AM
Banned
F@H

ok hold on a sec, in bios when you look its fine? if so, then something is forcing it down,i.e. software. like the other thread where the guy couldnt get it working(your problem his wish :) )
Old September 12, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, BIOS system information show the top clock speed. e.g. System information calls my CPU "AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor 2.61 GHz", and that number will raise accordingly if I change the CPU multi in BIOS.

I doubt the poster in the other thread wanted the CPU to ALWAYS downclock though :P
My temps seem to be consistent with the CPU not running full speed - I usually borderline 50 Celsius at default clocks but see CPU temps in the 30s.
Screenshot: speedlocktemps | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Ignore TMPIN4... to the best of my knowledge there's no black hole or other space-time discontinuity inside my case.

Last edited by frontier204; September 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: update due to new post
Old September 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Update [no solution yet]: I'm running off a Linux Live CD (Fedora 13) and I am encountering the same problem.
I'm running prime95 small FFTs, and a cat /proc/cpuinfo shows clock speed of 1303.275 MHz.

I set in BIOS a CPU clock of 200x15 @ default voltage, which is unstable for my rig and should not have even started (recall Phenom 1s do not like much OCing). Trying to set a multi of 20 will cause my system not to POST, so it may be that POST still tries to apply the actual clock that I requested, but as soon as it goes to OS, cool&quiet goes into overdrive.

That eliminates my Windows install anyway as a possible cause.
Old September 12, 2010, 12:09 PM
Banned
F@H

reseat cpu, while doing so drain bios. linux confirms you dont have something funny going on software wise
Old September 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

IIRC
I had to flash the bios with a AM2+ chip to get my 9950 to work properly on this board
Old September 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was going to suggest reloading the bios file, but I see you've already attempted that. Normally, at this point I'd suggest that it was almost guaranteed that the motherboard was at fault, but having just gone through some funky bios symptoms myself, I'm wondering if you can get your hands on a different PSU to slave in....

What about the processor? Have you attempted to reseat it? Maybe the pin that controls C&Q isn't making a good contact.

If that doesn't do the trick, couldn't be much other than either the motherboard, or the processor itself, as you've proven (by using a linux distro) that it's not OS based.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 12, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you all for the replies so far; quick and helpful

I pulled my motherboard out of the case (as it would have been impossible to get the cooler out without breaking something else or injuring myself). In doing so, I also got to remove the expansion cards (all I have now is CPU, 4x2GB RAM, and DVD-RW plugged in, running Linux off my board's IGP). The problem still persists - both /proc/cpuinfo and my temps readings with an IR thermometer agree that my CPU is still running slow

Thankfully my parents bought themselves an AM2+ quad desktop 7 months before I got this one, so I have quite a few parts I can try for swappage:
  • other CPU - Phenom 9500 B2 stepping
  • other PSUs - some 300W HP OEM that I don't know about or a 400W Coolermaster
  • RAM - various 1-2GB sticks of DDR2-667 or DDR-800
The only thing I cannot swap is motherboard, since putting my 125W Phenom 9950 in my parents' puny HP Pavillion is sure to burn something.

What kind of voodoo may swapping my PSU do? IIRC there's no digital handshaking between a PSU and mobo, aside from power good which would have tripped a different problem.
From your suggestions, the next swap I'll do is CPU, with my parents' Phenom 9500. If that 9500 doesn't run at its stock 2.2 GHz then I can eliminate my 9950 as a cause, correct?
Old September 12, 2010, 03:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Thank you all for the replies so far; quick and helpful

I pulled my motherboard out of the case (as it would have been impossible to get the cooler out without breaking something else or injuring myself). In doing so, I also got to remove the expansion cards (all I have now is CPU, 4x2GB RAM, and DVD-RW plugged in, running Linux off my board's IGP). The problem still persists - both /proc/cpuinfo and my temps readings with an IR thermometer agree that my CPU is still running slow

Thankfully my parents bought themselves an AM2+ quad desktop 7 months before I got this one, so I have quite a few parts I can try for swappage:
  • other CPU - Phenom 9500 B2 stepping
  • other PSUs - some 300W HP OEM that I don't know about or a 400W Coolermaster
  • RAM - various 1-2GB sticks of DDR2-667 or DDR-800
The only thing I cannot swap is motherboard, since putting my 125W Phenom 9950 in my parents' puny HP Pavillion is sure to burn something.

What kind of voodoo may swapping my PSU do? IIRC there's no digital handshaking between a PSU and mobo, aside from power good which would have tripped a different problem.
From your suggestions, the next swap I'll do is CPU, with my parents' Phenom 9500. If that 9500 doesn't run at its stock 2.2 GHz then I can eliminate my 9950 as a cause, correct?
As I alluded to in my post.... 2 months ago I wouldn't have suggested it for what appears to be a bios problem, but I had a TX750 go south on me with symptoms that had me convinced that my motherboard bios was toast (wouldn't accept bios changes, memory was unstable at higher speeds unless only one stick was used, but all other indications were normal). I verified it on two different motherboards, two different CPUs / Platforms, three different sets of memory, and swapping in a different PSU made the problem(s) go away. Obviously one of the voltages being supplied to the motherboard through the 24pin was out of whack.... it's currently making it's way to California. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 12, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't have access to the other CPU (computer in use for the rest of the night) so I tried the PSU swap just because. No effect .
Anyway that eliminates PSU, so the only things left, since I also swapped the RAM between slots are the CPU and motherboard.