Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2007, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Default Scratchy CPU Sound?

I've just put together my first rig a few weeks ago and have a few little questions/concerns if that's alright.

System Specs:
Motherboard: EVGA 680i SE
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6750 (stock @ 2.66GHz)
GPU: BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
Memory: OCZ PC6400 DDR2 2X1024MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB
Case: Antec 900

Building the system, booting and software installation all went smoothly as far as I can tell, so I started overclocking after a while, reading the OCing guide for 680i from nVidia and so forth. I could fairly easily get past 11K on 3DMark06 barely breaking 50 Celsius (is that what I should expect from this hardware?)

Anyway, the only problem is that I get a scratchy or rapid clicking sound from my rig whenever I overclock the CPU. The sound appears when I first load windows, open internet explorers (also starts whenever I scroll down through a web page) or run 3D applications. Is this sound normal? It's not overly loud or anything but I can definetly hear it over the fan noise.

When installing the CPU, I accidentally dropped it a little crookedly into the socket on the motherboard and had to give it a nudge sideways about 1-2mm to make it fall into place properly. Could this have damaged the processor? Again I can easily break 10K on 3DMark06 and am pleased with my gaming performance, but should I be concerned? Is the scratchy sound bad, can it be fixed or am I being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old December 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure what that might be- i know there are lots of little noises that HDs can make, but it sounds like it's fairly lod- that score is great for your hardware, so it sounds like it's working pretty good. The cpus can be sensitive, but they're not that sensitive- I doubt you harmed it- nice system, by the way
Old December 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

I doubt it would have to do with your cpu. Is the sound coming from the case itself, or from the speakers? If it's from the case I would lean towards HD or a fan scraping against the side when it speeds up.

Anywho, welcome to the forums, and I'll try and see what I can find out!
Old December 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the help and quick responses. I just OCed the CPU up to 3.3GHz (ran 11265 on 3DMark06 with GPU @ 647/942). Anyways I'm running a virus scan now and can see the processor cores on the task manager jumping to about 7% or so. Scrolling up and down rapidly on the webpage also makes the CPU usage jump to 40%. But I can definetly here that scratchy sound chattering away in time with the graph spikes.

@Babrbarossa: Excuse my ignorance but what's "fairly lod" as you put it?

@llama_egg: The sound is definetly coming from the case, I made sure it wasn't the speakers before I posted and it seems to get louder the more I overclock the CPU (I'm talking about adjusting the FSB in BIOS). I suspected it might be a fan, I'll have to take of the panel and see sometime soon. However, since the graphs and the sound seems to coincide exaclty, I don't think it could be a fan. I don't think the fans could seed up and slow down that fast, exaclty with the processor do you? It could very well be the hard drive, I've heard before that they can make a lot of noises.

Again, thanks for the help, I'll keep trying and let you know what I find.
Old December 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

"Fairly lod" = "fairly loud" methinks.

You've probably got a little 40mm fan on that board's northbridge, and those things can make some noise if they go bad. Although I wouldn't expect the fan to mimic the processor load so exactly. Open the case, and duplicate the noises again, and see if you can't get a better fix.
Old December 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've bulilt 3 rigs using the 680i and I've heard that clicking noise when the CPU is oc'ed and under (any) load many times... took me a while to find the culprit(s): the power regulators that are located around the CPU (marked "R50"). If you have any unused ramsinks, stick those to the pwms. That took care of the clicking sound for me. It never was a HDD.

John
Old December 10, 2007, 05:09 AM
Rookie

Thanks for clearing that up MpG (=me) Yeah, the noise is fairly loud and also a much higher frequency than the rest of the sounds, making it rather annoying.

As for the northbridge, I do have a heatsink there th little nVidia "clip-on" one that I see on all 680i mobos. I've been listening to the sound more now and as far as I can guess It's coming from the region around the processor and slightly below (red circle).

A few weeks ago, when I opened the case, I went through and tested some of the parts for noise by touching them with the eraser on the end of a pencil (learned from this thread). I couldn't notice any difference in the sound however. I had actually suspected the "R50" (yellow on picture) pieces and tested them the same way as well, but, like I said no noticeable difference.

@3.0charlie: I'm sure that's what the problem is, the way you describe is exactly my case. Just a few questions, Is this a RAM sink?

Where can I get some and what exactly do I do with them?

Again, sorry for the ignorance.
Old December 10, 2007, 06:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, they are ramsinks / heatsinks. I use those: NCIX.com - Buy Enzotech BMR-C1 Forged Copper BGA Memory Heatsinks for Video Card Memory 8 Pack W/ Thermaltape - BMR-C1 In Canada.. Just stick those to every pwm out there (the R50s). You can cut them if they are too high. They're not cheap, but they took care of the problem. I hope that you have the same issue.

John
Old December 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
Rookie

What do you suppose the ram sinks do to the power regulators that makes them stop chattering? Is it a cooling issue or does it just need something to suppress the vibrations? I only ask because I've heard of adding a dab of hot glue from a glue gun onto certain parts that stops the vibrations, but when I tested this with a pencil eraser I didn't get any results. I'll try again sometime just to be sure though.

However, if it is a heating issue than I can see that only the ram sinks will do. What are your thoughts?
Old December 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heat issue. The sinks help dissipate heat.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; December 10, 2007 at 12:34 PM.