Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2010, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Default [SOLVED] PCI slot hardware not getting detected

Hello all,
I seem to have a problem with my recently built pc where it won't detect hardware I place into the regular pci slots on the mobo. I've been trying to connect and configure 2 wireless network adapters to no avail (the 2nd much newer one being bought due to the first not working after much troubleshooting) and after banging my head against the wall for about 2 weeks now I come to you guys for help.

Some info I can give:

-The first adapter I tried is rather old but worked in 2 other computers for years

- mobo is a Gigabyte P55A-UD3P Rev 1.0 . I haven't done any bios flashing since I haven't found a need too thus far and didn't notice any drivers on the site that I should download.

- all other components connected to the mobo from what I can tell function perfectly

- I've tried installing an older sound card to see if it was the n-adapter at fault but found windows did not detect it either

- When I install the adapter's driver after installation it tells me it can't find the particular adapter, though the light on the back of it turns on and blinks steadily

- I am currently running windows 7 64bit home premium

- I've tried pci slots 2 and 3, pci slot 1 however looks to be too close to the vid card to install anything into there

Hope that covers most info needed and I greatly appreciate any help that can be given.

Last edited by ShaThrust; September 13, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old September 8, 2010, 08:12 PM
Banned
F@H

from what i gather , the unit's getting power thru the pci slot, but windows doesn't see it..?

could you try ubuntu, or at the least a live cd and see if it gives you the same headache as well?

in device manager, what do you see? red,yellow?
Old September 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you haven't tried PCI slot 1, try to find a way to test it. Maybe move your video card to the 8x slot for testing purposes. It should fit though, unless your video card is triple slot.

I have come across way too many boards that require the first PCI/RAM/PCI-E slot to be filled in order to use any of the PCI slots. I just recently ran into this at work with several new Dell PCs that my boss ordered, they all had the modem card in the second or third slot, I moved them up to the first slot and the cards worked.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Thank you for the trouble shooting help guys

So I managed to fit the adapter into the PCI 1 slot, but sadly got the same results as with the other two.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Ubuntu so I'll have to take a bit of time to get that configured and give'er a try.

I tried installing the driver with the adapter in slot 1 and got the same results with the light as well. With the driver installed it flashes on and off at a steady rate, when I uninstall the driver the light stays on without flashing or flickering at all. Once I restart the computer the light doesn't turn on without the driver and flashes with it installed. I can see the adapter in network connections and in device manager with the driver installed but it's a complete ghost without a driver.

Is it a possibility I damaged part of the mobo when I was installing it?
Old September 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
Banned
F@H

dont think you messed anything up.

go here : DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

and chose whichever you think you like. ubuntu is pretty popular, and is updated 'regularly'

if no go in ubuntu(full or off the cd, but the latter is limited and will probably download drivers) then were not helping you one bit
Old September 10, 2010, 05:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaThrust View Post
Thank you for the trouble shooting help guys

So I managed to fit the adapter into the PCI 1 slot, but sadly got the same results as with the other two.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Ubuntu so I'll have to take a bit of time to get that configured and give'er a try.

I tried installing the driver with the adapter in slot 1 and got the same results with the light as well. With the driver installed it flashes on and off at a steady rate, when I uninstall the driver the light stays on without flashing or flickering at all. Once I restart the computer the light doesn't turn on without the driver and flashes with it installed. I can see the adapter in network connections and in device manager with the driver installed but it's a complete ghost without a driver.

Is it a possibility I damaged part of the mobo when I was installing it?
What OS using ?

sounds if poor written driver for nic

read chipset on nic card then search a driver to same version of chip an OS
Old September 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Alright, I got Ubuntu running on my comp here in trial mode and the adapter is working (thank you dangtx)!!!
I'm using the current 32bit Ubuntu version whereas Windows 7 is running the 64bit version. Might that make a difference at all? Seeing as how windows isn't detecting any new hardware placed in the pci slot would a bios update make a difference?

To answer your question Kapt, I believe the chipset for my card is Atheros (adapter is a D-link DWA-552 H/W ver A3). I've tried 2 drivers from them so far after the 2 newest from the d-link site didn't yield any results, but sadly I was still unable to get it working. Exact card name when running Ubuntu is:

Atheros Communications Inc.AR922X Wireless Network Adapter(rev 01)
Old September 10, 2010, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If it's running fine under ubuntu, then more than likely it's a driver issue. Not familiar with that particular card, but I know I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get a certain dlink one to work, so you might want to do a google search to see if anybody else has had problems with that card, and what (if any) resolutions they've found.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old September 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
Rookie

I just can't seem to find anything that will work with windows 7. I've tried the 2 newest drivers from d-link, any older ones don't show support for W7, and when I get a driver directly from Atheros it shows up like its functioning properly in the device manager yet can't pick up any networks. Upon using the windows troubleshooter it recognizes an issue with the driver but can't install it's own.
Old September 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
Banned
F@H

no problemo man. always always try the soft first before dirtying your hands with the hard :)

im thinking its the driver for the 64 bit windows thats not playing nicely. like me 7 32 bit, usually doesnt give me too many headaches.

edit sometimes pointing the 'blind man' (windows) to the driver in question can work miracles. been doing so forever.