Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2010, 01:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaThrust View Post
Alright, I got Ubuntu running on my comp here in trial mode and the adapter is working (thank you dangtx)!!!
I'm using the current 32bit Ubuntu version whereas Windows 7 is running the 64bit version. Might that make a difference at all? Seeing as how windows isn't detecting any new hardware placed in the pci slot would a bios update make a difference?

To answer your question Kapt, I believe the chipset for my card is Atheros (adapter is a D-link DWA-552 H/W ver A3). I've tried 2 drivers from them so far after the 2 newest from the d-link site didn't yield any results, but sadly I was still unable to get it working. Exact card name when running Ubuntu is:

Atheros Communications Inc.AR922X Wireless Network Adapter(rev 01)
here some info to chipset AR922X with drivers 32/64
Old September 12, 2010, 05:51 PM
Rookie

So this adapter seems stuck on not picking up any wireless networks. Initially this was my issue but other problems cropping up lead me to mistakingly assume the pci slots were to blame. I've tried over 10 different drivers from d-link and the chip manufacturer, but alas nothing will get windows to pick up any of the wireless signals in the area. So far the only solution I've come across from my searches alludes to having the OS reinstalled and using any of the newer drivers, just not the one on the CD that comes with the adapter since apparently that's what caused the issue in the first place. Talking with d-link over e-mails so we'll see if some other solution can be found
Old September 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say toss it and buy a non-D-Link card

I take it you've tried these: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa552/...rivers_170.zip ?
Old September 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
Rookie

Yesum I indeed tried out that driver there, to no avail sadly.

After this experience and the troubles I've had with D-link's hardware in the past I'll just be getting my network hardware from another manufacturer. I'd totally chuck this one and grab another, but I just got it for 60$ so I'll just sticker out and hope I get it up and running
Old September 12, 2010, 08:23 PM
Banned
F@H

worst case scenario return it and let that be it. gets to me when one cant get it working, but your time,head hair and nerves are,afterall,more important :)
Old September 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
Rookie

........So it's working now?!?! I'm even using that 1.70 driver there linked by JDrom that I tried like 10 times before I'm not complaining! I cleaned out everything I could find relating to d-link from the comp, even a program I hadn't even realized was there from them. I then pointed windows right to the 1.7 driver bypassing the setup utility(like what dangtx and the d-link people recommended!) and BAM wireless networks flyin all over the place. Tried so many other drivers like this, guess this is the first time I tried it without their wireless management system?? Anyways thanks a ton guys, I can finally have internet in my humble abode!

If any other people come across issues with the D-Link DWA-552 network adapter on windows 7 I'll spell out the solution that worked for me:

-throw the cd that come's with the adapter away, very very far away.
-download the 1.7 driver from the d-link site
-go to device manager in Control panel -> Hardware & sound -> Device manager and find the network adapter with the yellow exclamation point on it (provided you have windows set up to not automatically download drivers for new hardware)
-right click and either click update driver software, or go to properties -> driver tab -> Update drivers
-choose to install your own driver, not automatically download one from the internet with windows
-point right to the extracted 1.70 driver
-install
-profit!
Old September 13, 2010, 07:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well glad to see you got it working!

Drivers, especially badly written ones, can always be troublesome on 64bit OSes.