Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2010, 03:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Won't turn on when GTX 480 attached

So while I was playing the open beta of FFXIV, my PC suddenly shutdown. As if someone pulled the power cable. (temps were ok)

When I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't start .. The EVGA logo was still pulsing. As soon as I unplug the PCI-E power cables, it'd turn on .. But of course with a 'no display' error. I replaced the PSU with a Seasonic 750W gold PSU, just to make sure it wasn't the strider (not built for swiss houses/power circuits xD).

So I'm kind of cluesless here :( I don't have a secondary GPU or MB to try it out .. What do you guys think? What could cause this madness D:

Edit: CPU is at 4GHz stable with HT, and the 480 only has a mild OC to Superclocked Stats.
Old September 6, 2010, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

REMOVE psu power cord and try card in another PCIx slot
Old September 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
REMOVE psu power cord and try card in another PCIx slot
Tried that already. Unfortunately, same issue :(
Old September 6, 2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have any other video cards to test with? It sounds like either a video or motherboard issue to me, but you can't narrow down the problem without swapping components.
Old September 6, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Clear Cmos to kill your CPU OC, maybe your mobo can't stand the OC anymmore.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old September 6, 2010, 04:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cleared CMOS by removing the BIOS bat. Can't get past that 7F :( only have macs at home besides this rig. There's no way to test it out for me by swapping components. I have it on the fly right now, with one memory stick, still not powering up when the 480 is attached :(
Old September 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Do you get 7F with or without the video card installed? According to the manual, this is what it means (not much use):
Quote:
Check POST error and display them and ask for user intervention
Old September 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Do you get 7F with or without the video card installed? According to the manual, this is what it means (not much use):
Getting that error when the video card is installed, but without the power cables attached. When attached it wouldn't even power up at all .. Just the nice EVGA logo, which is pulsing

Btw. Thanks guys for your fast replies ;) I really appreciate them!
Old September 6, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Even after a CMOS reset, going into BIOS and loading Defaults it won't Post? Are you able to get into BIOS? If you still cannot Post or get into BIOS contact Evga Support (be nice if you could at the very least try the PSU and GPU in another Rig or borrow the same from someone to try in your)......sounds like it maybe your Mobo....

Old September 6, 2010, 05:03 PM
Banned
F@H

50 percent chance the 480 cooked in its own juices, the fity percent (yo?)other mobo gave up on life, without any swap its a bit difficult. powering the card and no boot? interesting.

who do you have close by with a gpu in pci-e form?

i said interesting because the card does need of course extra power. so connecting the cable and no boot probably means it is the messed up one. but still, the doubt is still there.