Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2010, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect

Reseated the video card, cleaned the pins to be safe too (Dusty) and its still the same issue.

What bugs me is the system was working perfectly (other than internet issues) intill I did a restart and its 'locked' in this state now.
Old August 28, 2010, 02:52 PM
Banned
F@H

can you swap the video card?

if that fails take everything appart

if it buggers you too much take a break. not good to zap/break something else
Old August 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

NICE! Thanks for all the help man, kind of gave me the idea to start messing with the PSU's since everything else we tried wasnt working.

I had to do this, I brought my 750 watt PSU down, plugging in and same issue.
When I took out the 8 pin and 24 pin and the CMOS at the same time I had the same issue.
But When I plugged back the old PSU (leaving out the 8 pin) with the CMOS and also with no IDE (DVD Rom) ribbon installed It posted! I have put the 8 pin back and the unit is working perfectly again since then.

What a weird combination to get it working again, no idea what happened--I dont think I even want to know. Seems like a PSU/mobo freak incident.
Old August 28, 2010, 03:07 PM
Banned
F@H

that right there would worry me quite a bit. unless it was so dirty the dirt insulated the pins themselves but itd be pretty hard(and not noticeable)

just in case start looking for a nice new build..:)
Old August 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

I think I will just buy a new Power supply to be safe, since the mobo has 2 years coverage left i'm not worried about it. I've multi-metered all cords and they are at spec and stable, the system is cleaned every two weeks of dust.

I also think it was the power cord leading into the PSU unit (Technical name?) I am taking a closer look at the unit and the cord is fairly lose (Easily wiggled). I have been using a new cord that fits a little more snuggly since.

Last edited by MittWaffle; August 28, 2010 at 03:19 PM.