Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2010, 12:11 AM
Rookie

Default HDD and Dvd Player Master and slave weird problem?

Hey there...

fixed the problem right away, but I am still looking for an explanation on why this would happen (all SATA drives).

I changed my PSU and when replugging everything, I accidentally plugged my main HDD (WD 640 Caviar Black) as the Channel 0's slave. The Dvd burner was then set as master (Standard LG dvd burner). PC was slow as hell, every operation took much time, much lag, etc.

I switched them up, and the DVD burner is set as Channel 0's slave drive, and the WD HDD is the Master, and everything is back to normal.

Does the Dvd player set as master saturate the channel that much? Why is it like that? Does that mean that, in order to get the best performance out of every HDD I have on my PC, I should set them up as masters all the time?

I have a DFI Lanparty P35 T2RS, which, as per the Bios, has 3 channels (0 Master, slave, 1 Master, slave, 2 Master, slave), and I happen to have 3 Sata HDDs.

I know SATA doesn't use the Master/Slave, but the Bios seems to say so ( is it bandwidth allocation to each channel?) and it did make a big difference!

thanks for helping me understand this!

Last edited by astro_man; August 26, 2010 at 01:55 PM.